making extra QCTP holders for a2z cnc system.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIPPPer

Reaction score
i have a mini lathe 7x12 and have the a2z cnc QCTP. i bought a 3/4 inch dovetail cutter from littlemachineshop and started making some extra tool holders, since the spares that a2z sell are almost 20 bucks a piece. i made a knurling tool holder, and some general purpose square tool holders.

any specialty holders i should consider making? i was thinking of making some with built in geometry so i can keep the tool post square to the lathe for "home shop sized production runs", for example when i need to make the adjuster nuts for the tool holders (knurl, drill, tap, chamfer, cutoff.) i usually loosen the bolt and rotate the tool post to get the tool at the right angle.

MCRIPPPer,

I also have a 7x lathe and the same toolpost. I have been intrigued by the tangential tool holders described on this forum and have considered making one. I wonder if others here would like to see that work out.

If you need IDEAS, Start on the page below and look at the next few pages for all the Aloris holders that are made: CAUTION: These are made for larger toolposts used on larger lathes and the 7x lathes are probably not ridgid, rugged, and stable enough to use some of them.

http://kbctools.com/usa/Navigation/NavPDF.cfm?PDFPage=498

We want pictures of what you do make.

--ShopShoe

I have made several tool holders for my OXA QCTP. I used aluminum for most, and steel for a couple. I made a tangential tool from steel, a DI holder, a knurling tool holder,and several regular turning tool type holders to hold non stressed tools from aluminum. I'll post some pictures later today if I can remember. One aluminum tool turning holder holds a ball bearing nudger type tool that is really usefull. 2 ball bearings, on a piece of key stock, used for nudging stock into truth in the chuck.

Chuck

Last edited:
i have made a ball bearing tool already, and will mount it in one of my plain holders. the extended turning tool holders are cool. what is the advantage of the tangential tool holders? i see them all over.

The tangental tool flexes less than a conventional tool, alowing somewhat heavier cuts on the 7x lathes. It's rigidity allows smother cuts with less chatter. Leaves a nice finish on CRS, at least for me. Also easier to sharpen with a jig.
Chuck

here are my tool holders so far. i have four more blocks to machine dovetails in and then decide what to make with them. so far i have one knurling tool holder, four standard holders which closely resemble the a2z holders, and one "heavy duty" holder for holding things bigger than half inch, such as a part i need to drill horizontally. i have modified my tool post with a new "axle" and handle, and made new pistons so the handle locks in the proper position, weather i use the front or side dovetail. i also turned the top part of the rotating piece and put a pvc bushing in there so it does not flex the bolt when i tighten the handle. i was having issues with the tool post before since the parts are so sloppy.

heres all the tool holders so far

here is how the handle locks with an a2z cnc holder.

here is how it locks with one of my homemade holders.

i made my tool holders much more precise of a fit to the post, and milled the middle to set where the handle locks.

I cut my dovetails on my shaper

hint Thumb nuts available from Mcmaster carr.

thumb2_Mini_tool_holder.JPG

Tin

im going to make my own thumb screws. i have an interesting idea involving nylock nuts. i also am a metric guy now so the imperial threads that a2z use wont work for me. its weird it seems that the parting blade holder uses metric screws, but it has imperial adjusting nut. i cant tell if the tool holder grub screws are metric or not, but my 2.5mm wrench fits it pretty good.

very nice looking tool holders! i love the finish.

I have made several tool holders for my OXA QCTP. I used aluminum for most, and steel for a couple. I made a tangential tool from steel, a DI holder, a knurling tool holder,and several regular turning tool type holders to hold non stressed tools from aluminum. I'll post some pictures later today if I can remember. One aluminum tool turning holder holds a ball bearing nudger type tool that is really usefull. 2 ball bearings, on a piece of key stock, used for nudging stock into truth in the chuck.

Chuck

Sorry, worn out from yard work and good Burbon... I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back