Making a thin walled Cylinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robcas631

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted this on their lathe.......to make thin cylinder walls for a sterling engine? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IN6UhGSZE[/ame]

Rob, bear in mind that the video is a production machine using hydraulics to form the piece. A lot of pressure is required to form the parts. Did a lot of work years ago manufacturing the forms, or chucks as they call them, for some metal spinners.

When hand spinning, they used bars about 1mt long in order to get enough pressure, it was very interesting to watch. The material also thins out a lot, you can see that in the video when they spin the long cone, you would think that the blank material they used would be too small.

Tried spinning some end caps for a small boiler years ago, material was copper, used an old lathe at work. First tried a lever, then made a roller tool to mount in the toolpost. Very hard work, but eventually got there. Had to anneal the copper half way through. I would not try this on my lathe now for fear of damaging it with the pressure required.

Paul.

Metal spinning is a very old method, yet still relevant in this modern age. Makes the manufacture of some items very easy to produce, where by other means it would be impossible.

Manufactured some metal spinning "chucks" once, that we're in segments, to allow the removal of parts once spun. The parts were spun back on themselves making it impossible to get it off the chuck when finished. Once each piece was finished, the chuck was removed and pulled out piece by piece through a small opening left on the end of the part. The parts were for the top of lightning conductors being installed in Indonesia.

Paul.

Has anyone attempted this on their lathe.......to make thin cylinder walls for a sterling engine?

Yes I did, but did not succeed.
The aluminum got to hard to proceed. Instead of a cylinder I got a nice cone shaped thing. Annealing is the key I suppose.
During my first trial I worked with a fixed stud to do the pushing work. For the next trial I made myself a rotating tool, with a roller bearing inside. The fixed tool damaged the aluminum severely. I will continue in a few weeks when all other projects are finished.

Chris

Latest posts

Back