Machining while seated?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that after being at my shop class standing in front of machines for 5-6 hours straight that my back is sore afterwards. I'm thinking that I could do a lot of the lathe work seated on a stool as long as the height is correct and I can reach the tools I need. Certainly doing repeated feeds for facing and turning would not present a problem.

Does anyone here work that way?

You are not alone, I used to do all my milling whilst sitting. I also jacked up my lathe so that I could work without stooping.

John

Hello Kvom, I suffer from degenerative osteoarthritis and besides the medication (not operating machinery!) I can only work for a short time stood up. I use a chair for my milling, and I have a stool and cushions for the lathes. If I didn't operate in this way I would not have any hobby and/or purpose. I lay down for around 18 hours in 24, so if I can operate with a chair and stool I am certain you can.

The main thing to concentrate on is safety and knowing when to give up (or stop for some). That's been my biggest adjustment to make since starting about 12 months ago now. You can have a look at what I have gotten up to on my website www.mikes-models.com I am certainly not fast and am prone to mistakes but I enjoy every second of my time in the workshop and the seating allows me that time. So whether people on this forum agree or no (regarding machinery and medication - mine is a controlled drug pain killer)I wouldn't stop.

So sit down and enjoy yourself!

Kvom,

This evening I measured myself against my new mill, looks like it will be a sit down job again.

John

Standing in my basement shop can be uncomfortable.
VERY LOW CEILING!

Sitting is my method.

RickatLathe.jpg

Rick

I'm still fairly young so can manage to stand at my lathe but I specifically built my workbench at the correct height to sit at and work as with the exception of sawing just about everything else I can do sitting down and why stand if I don't have too. :big:

I have a stool to sit on for when I'm milling,but that's only to take the weight of my feet.I can't make myself too comfortable,or I would fall asleep :big:
Of course,if you have a disability of any kind,you need to do whatever you can to make it best for yourself.
For general work at the bench I prefer to stand,so I can go get tools out of their cubby's without faffin'aboot.It's not practical for me to have them all near the bench,as it's in front of the window.The good point is plenty of natural light.
I found sitting down in front of a lathe is fraught with problems.This just seems too dangerous to me.Stray swarf flying about can't be much fun.But I guess if it's that,or no machining at all,I'd have to think twice about it.I have great respect for people who manage to find ways around their disability,so they can still get some enjoyment out of life.My hat's off to you guys:).

I built my lathe stand (Atlas/Craftsman 6") at the correct height for me to stand straight and be able to see the spindle clearly but now I find I get a sore shoulder from holding my arm up to turn the cranks. I'm sure there's a compromise in there that should be considered when picking a mounting height. It's hell getting old older. ;D

Also, I don't see a safety issue with sitting at the lathe.

Dennis

I think I have mentioned this before.

If you are lucky enough to be able to adjust your machinery to the correct height for yourself, then the best starting point, and the one that works very well for me is...

Stand upright with your arms hanging at your sides. Then just bending elbows bring your hands up until they are 90degrees to the elbow. Get someone to measure the distance from floor to finger tips. That is your height to the table on the mill or bed on the lathe, without having to stoop or move your arms about too much. If you do use a seat for machining, buy yourself a good adjustable computer chair, so you can set it to the optimum height.
I buy leather covered ones that are dirt cheap nowadays, the reason for the leather, the hot chips don't burn it, easy to swipe the chips off when you sit down and no chips to get embedded in the fabric, that eventually get embebbed in a place on your body that is embarassing when you have to ask for help to get the bit out.
People will spend hundreds buying doodah's for their machines, but sit on orange boxes to do the machining. Comfort in your shop should be one of the highest priorities.

Feel comfortable, machine well.

This has stood me in good stead for many years.

John

Latest posts

Back