Machining cast iron

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davewild

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am about to start machining the fins on the cylinder for my Linford opposed twin build, I did a trial cut this evening and dulled a 1mm cutting blade instantly, I am trying to achieve a 2 mm wide cut 5mm deep into cast iron, so please help how do I machine cast, should I be using cooling?, thanks in advance

Regards

Dave

Quite often the surface of cast iron is very hard. The first cut needs to be deep enough to get past the hard surface. If possible use carbide. Cast iron is cut dry - no coolant needed.
For casting some people suggest heating them red hot then packing in sand to let them cool slowly to remove the surface hardness.

Quite often the surface of cast iron is very hard. The first cut needs to be deep enough to get past the hard surface. If possible use carbide. Cast iron is cut dry - no coolant needed.
For casting some people suggest heating them red hot then packing in sand to let them cool slowly to remove the surface hardness.

Hi portladron

Thanks for replying, I don't know what I was doing wrong, I resharpened the tool today and had another go, with no problems got half of the cylinder fin machined.

Regards

Dave

image.jpg

Back