Machine to put varying, cyclical load on steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The computer world has had a wonderful "do not touch" sign for some time now:

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers!
Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben.
Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken
mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen.
Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das
pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.

It's rumored to have been started in the 50's at IBM, but nobody knows for sure. I have modified it slightly for our hobby:

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers!
Das machinentoolen und schteampunktvroom moteren ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben.
Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken
mit spitzensparken oder die big badda boomen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen.
Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das
pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das wunderbar shiny objecten.

Meanwhile, Brian, I think you're ready to graduate to having your steam engines perform useful work of some kind.

Some ideas:

Nut Cracker Assembly Line: A hopper accepts pecans or other nuts. Conveyers deliver the nuts to a nut cracker and then take the shell and nuts seperately on their ways to appropriate hoppers. Not that a variety of nut crackers could be created. For example, a trip hammer that cranks a weight up high and then suddenly releases it to fall on the hapless nut.

Can Crusher: Similar idea but may require more power.

Fruit Juicer: I'm thinking of a press of some kind. Bring a bag of lemons and serve the audience small cups of lemon juice.

Taffy Puller: This one sure seems like it goes with steam power doesn't it? You could do an ice cream mixer too, or a shave ice machine.

Failing a "useful" application of steam power, you could try for a complex steam powered kinetic sculpture.

Carry On!

BW

Bob--I'm loving the fractured German. It has special meaning for me---When I worked for Volkswagen of Canada, they had a tutor come in 3 days a week and teach me to speak German so that I could deal with collegues in Wolfsberg. I am sure that my Duetschspreken was very much like what you have posted. ;D ;D ;D---Brian---Actually, when they sent me to Germany, anybody under 30 could speak English very good, as it has been taught in their school system for about 40 years now (this was 15 years ago). However, when speaking to any of the older employees (as in my age), there was a lot of really strange German spoken, and a lot of hand waving, but I was impressed as heck that I could carry on a conversation. Don't ever believe that you can't learn nifty new things when you are on the wrong side of 40!!!

Das Leben zu kurz ist, Deutsch zu lernen.

(Life is too short to learn German.)

Purely for the sake of amusement and time wasting, here is a video of the steam engine, driving the gear reducer, driving the gearbelt pulley system, which will operate the up and down movement of the load arm on the "Varying load machine". And yes, I have tried the Baldrocker "Fingerpoken method" on the large gearbelt pulley, and yes, it has amazing torque, and yes, it definitly makes the governor operate as load is applied and then released.

looking good brian..............i guess you got a bunch of snow in the last few days eh??? ::) :p :big:

we got about a foot or more here.

chuck

chuck foster said:
looking good brian..............i guess you got a bunch of snow in the last few days eh??? ::) :p :big:

we got about a foot or more here.

chuck

Chuck--I'd say we had snow up the Ying Yang. but my Ying is froze off, and I can't find my Yang in the damn snow!!!

baldrocker said:
Here I am trying to impart some serious technical insight and all is mockery in return.
This is HMEM. You expected otherwise? :big:

BEst regards,

Kludge

chuck foster said:
i guess you got a bunch of snow in the last few days eh???

What's this "snow" thing of which you speak? ;D

Best regards,

Kludge

I have decided to add a parallel link mechanism and a platform at the end of the arm. The parallel link mechanism will keep the platform level through the full range of motion.--Still thinking of adding a big rubber gorilla or a Hula girl or Jaba the Hut or something on the platform.--Something made of soft rubber that will move around a bit.
assyofvaryingloadmachine-model-1.jpg

Brien
Finkerpoken nine nine nine! Finkerpoken HERTZ!
Wetten finker und putz on utzide edge off wheelie thing.

This looks like an interesting thing to make just for
the sake of making. I like the way your mind wurkz.
BR
PS Spell checker just broke.

Back