Machine to put varying, cyclical load on steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillH

Reaction score
Perhaps this is for the wrong crowd, but you could also use an electric motor as a generator, and using some high powered mosfets and a microcontroller, could electronically create a varying load that could be controlled digitally.

Yep, wrong crowd, BillH---Think --Industrial revolution.---Steam engines---Water wheels. We ain't got no steenkin Elextrizity yet!!!

Hi
Do away with the link arm and the cam just have the arm bearing down on the flywheel with a fixed weight at a certainl length from the fulcrum of teh lever. That way you can gain some insight into how much power your engine produces and vary teh load on the engine.
In effect a pony break on a small scale

Speaking of the varying load machine---I may have lucked into a few parts for it. In the box of junk that I salvaged when I got all the gears, there were the corpses of 3 portable compressors. Each one has a nice small gearbelt drive, and the large pulley has an offset shaft/bearings built into it that originally drove the piston in the compressor. Now, if I can combine the gear reducer I built yesterday, with the reduction built into the gearbelt drive----
GEARBELT001.jpg

GEARBELT002.jpg

baldrocker's solution for the
Machine to put varying, cyclical load on steam engine

finger.jpg
;)
BR

Brian
"Boldly going where no man has gone before"
I suddenly realise that instructions may be needed in case
some misinterpret.

1. Wet finger tip.
2. Apply fingertip to flywheel of engine. Varying degrees of force
will vary the load on steam engine.
BR

Wouldn't work for me BR - perhaps 'cos I don't have one of them blurry fingers.

Thats it!
Here I am trying to impart some serious technical insight
and all is mockery in return.
Wheres my bat and ball
BR
FIN

Well acturly----I want to have a varying load machine that works continuously, and cycles repeatedly. All of my models are gong to be displayed, running, at a series of "steam fairs" throughout the coming year. I think baldrockers finger might get a bit sore by the end of the summer. However, BR, you didn't have it wrong.--I used my BR finger to vary the load exactly as you suggested when I was trying out the governor.----Brian

How about a one-stamp from an ore-crushing stamp mill? Big weight on the end of a vertical stick.. rotating the driveshaft pulls it upwards (there's an S-cam), then when it gets to the top, it drops down with a loud 'clank'. You'd probably only get two levels of load, but it would attract attention and if you sized the lever arm enough, it ought to be possible to make it so the engine can barely lift it on the upstroke. Stamp pennies or something for the kids. I've been wanting to make one for a while.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1308.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_mill

Wife is out buying Christmas turkey, I'm imagineering. I have worked out the varying load machine, using mostly "shtuff" that I already have, left over from other jobs, and utilizing the small gear reducer I built this week and the gearbelt drive that I salvaged from the compressor. This should work great---The load will vary greatly as the "arm" is lifted and lowered. It will do so slowly, because of what will ultimately be a 32:1 gear reduction, and it will cycle repeatedly. I think I may mount a circular platform on the end of the arm, with a parallel link mechanism to keep the platform level. amd mount a big rubber gorilla or something on the platform. Remember, the ultimate aim of this machine is to make the governor on the twin cylinder steam engine "work". It is also going to be displayed at steam shows, along with the "slinky machine" which will be driven by my double acting wobbler.
assyofvaryingloadmachine-1.jpg

assyofvaryingloadmachine-model.jpg

Maybe consider some way for the spectators to vary/control the load?-- they could see the action/reaction directly. Maybe adding or removing weights, or pushing on it somehow (probably a thumb on the flywheel isn't a good idea from a safety standpoint..)

Shred---The absolute last thing you want is for ANYBODY to touch the set-up. Have you ever seen what the great unwashed public does at any kind of show. Apart from out and out vandalism, if you chew up somebodys finger with your exhibit, you will be in deep trouble.

I was thinking some kind of a brake handle far removed from the actual works, with appropriate limits to probibit breaking anything, but no I've not seen people tear up stuff at a show.

shred said:
I was thinking some kind of a brake handle far removed from the actual works, with appropriate limits to probibit breaking anything, but no I've not seen people tear up stuff at a show.

Although I am a relative "Newby" at the steam engine hobby, I am a veteran of many custom car and hotrod shows. 99.9% of people who come to these events are genuinely interested in the hobby, the cars, and talking to the owners to either gain information or insight into the hobby. BUT--the 0.1% is always there.--The people who either intentionally or inadvertantly (because of ignorance) scratch the $10,000 paint jobs--or drop a handfull of pebbles down the carburetor of a high compression engine "just to see what will happen"---or toss a burning cigarette butt into a leather upholsterd convertible. Yes, and unfortunately that 0.1% show up at steam shows, beauty pageants, and horseshoe tournaments. And believe me, its not always the kids with green hair and bolts through their lower lips!!!

I don't know how many times I have told someone that it is real HOT steam coming out the stack and that the boiler is HOT, there is always someone who puts there hand over the stack or on the boiler, them reacts with surprise that it is HOT.
Regards,
Gerald

I used to have a sign at shows that said: Please do not touch.

It worked about as well as the average "Wet Paint" sign works, i.e., not at all.

I replaced it with a sign that reads:

These engines are HOT.
If you touch them, you'll leave the show with a permanent souvenir.

That works a lot better. Faced with the prospect of self-inflicted pain, even the dumbest spectators seem capable of self-restraint.

(Obviously, engines running on air don't get hot. Reinforce the sign by leaving a small butane torch in a prominent location or, if displaying flame suckers/Stirlings, keep the alcohol lamp burning. OTOH, most spectators are so clueless about what we do, that obvious heat sources may not be needed.)

Latest posts

Back