Luck and a camera

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
Today, a few friends and I attended a local open house where a collector of old machinery shared his toys. There were antique cars, a double decker bus, a couple of hit and miss traction engines, a Case traction engine, a plethora of full sized stationary steam engines as well as a number of huge Fairbanks Morse diesel engines. These were only a part of the eclectic collection the man had on display.

About noon, he rolled out his 3 inch rifled cannon for some fun. Anyone who wanted to fire it was given a turn on the lanyard and allowed to trigger a shot. I opted to take photos, but only began shooting near the end of the fun. I had only two remaining chances to get a usable picture, so I set up in rapid fire mode and waited. The first series captures the first of two incredible shots.

cannon-2.jpg

The second shot was even more unique in that it caught the firing sequence at the very point where the first of the burning gases began to exit the gun, while the fuse was still in full flare. Notice the tiny glow at the end of the barrel. One microsecond in time that could never have been intentionally planned for.

cannon-1.jpg

Sometimes, it's just better to be lucky than good.....LOL

Steve

Hey Steve,

Sorry I missed the show. I spent the replacing a blower belt on a convection oven, cleaning the carport, and working on my race car in the afternoon. Looks like I missed out on a nice show. :-[

Now thats something you just can't do in Australia.
Looks like it would be fun too.
Great photos

Latest posts

Back