LSx Engine w/ 1" bore

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on the cam and cam bearings... Conventional cams have different size bearings with the largest bearing in the front of the engine. This likely eases installation...

My question for the group - Would you machine the cam bearings the same diameter for this small scale? It seems that it may be hard to install the bearings unless I stagger the diameters slightly.

Well boys... 12 hours from now I should be able to handle the first draft of the LS7 block. Functional coolant and oiling systems... all holes are center drilled to be tapped. The block isn't 100% quite yet, but getting close.

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 11.34.13 AM.jpg

Very nice. Is the print qualiy good enough for aluminum casting?. It looks like a wax pattern.

This one was made form ABS. I could print in PLA and do lost PLA casting when the design is finished. I am still watching videos from Aonemarine on this and learning about his casting method with vacuum assist.

Sure is nice to have the model in hand to reference.

This one was made form ABS. I could print in PLA and do lost PLA casting when the design is finished. I am still watching videos from Aonemarine on this and learning about his casting method with vacuum assist.

Sure is nice to have the model in hand to reference.

It looks so cool. It must be satisfying to hold the design in your hand and to be able to look at it in the real world.

It sure is! Even when you know all the dimensions, it is always a wonder to hold it in your hands. I was surprised at how "large" this block is. The block is 5.500" long.

5.5" long = large ??? roflmao I am truely blessed.....LOL seriously though, before you try casting it let me know. There are some things that just wont happen with the lost pla casting..

You are a funny man Aone...

After reading back through my last post, I guess I could have phrased things a little differently. :eek:

You are a funny man Aone...

After reading back through my last post, I guess I could have phrased things a little differently. :eek:

I try to be......but sometimes people just dont get my dry sense of humor....

Now you need to print the intake manifold. About how long did it taker to print the block and heads?

I think the block took around 12 hours. The heads were around 7 hours each if I am not mistaken.

Oh, I have been bad lately, neglecting my little project!!

I have been researching different casting methods. Lost wax/pla seems to be the best, but I still like the idea of doing core sand molds to pour blocks from! Maybe I am weird...

I am planning to send out for a water clear SLA of the block. I will then inject colored epoxy through the oiling system to highlight the oil pathways. I may even fill the water jackets with colored epoxy as well. This way, you could literally look through the block to see how these LS engines are plumbed. I may make the cam and crank from steel, add brass bearings, and try to make the engine spin over at low rpm for a desk top model... Sounds fun to me anyway.

Well, back to revising my cylinder head design... ;)

Oops, posted in the wrong thread. I'm following along just watching. The SW models look good. I'd like to build a BMW six like a S38B38 one day.

Greg

I admire the work you done so far ! I hope you find time to do more.

Oh, there is time :) My progress seems to be going in spurts on this one, but it is a fun mental exercise

Hey all,

Been too long since I have posted anything, so here goes! Attached are pictures of the modeled LS7 crank, connecting rods, and pistons.

Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 9.32.31 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 9.32.58 PM.jpg

I have printed a few of these off in ABS plastic. Really looking forward to trying lost PLA on this model to see how the castings turn out. I have water jackets int he model and they print fairly well with the ABS. I am hoping I can get that level of detail using vacuum assist casting.

Latest posts

Back