Looking for a little advice about an I.C. engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

multihobbyguy

Reaction score
I think my next machine project will be a I.C. engine. I am debating between the Webster and the PowerHouse. One of my eventual goals is to build the Farm Boy Hit-&-Miss so I was thinking I should make the PowerHouse to get familiar with Jerry E. Howell plans, but I have seen some great write ups on the Webster here on HMEM. Has anyone built both? Since it is my first I.C. I would like to go with the simpler engine. I am to the point where I need to order some plans or start sourcing materials so any input as to which engine would be better to start with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

Well I haven't build both - or either for that matter, tho' I do have the Farm Boy plans. Currently doing battle with the ignition for the Kerzel, BUT ... my considered opinion would be to start with the Webster!

Chris,
I would highly recommend plans from Jerry Howell. They are excellent, complete with instructions for special parts, and they are pretty error free. His engine designs are all good and they will run well for a long time. I have built a number of his engines, and I have put lot's of hours on them without any problems. I think his two-jet carb design is the best available for model engines. Jerry's "Powerhouse" engine is a great choice for a first IC engine. It is not a high speed engine (>2000 RPM) and has a pleasing sound so you can run it all day at a show without irritating anyone.

Jeff

multihobbyguy said:
I think my next machine project will be a I.C. engine. I am debating between the Webster and the PowerHouse. One of my eventual goals is to build the Farm Boy Hit-&-Miss so I was thinking I should make the PowerHouse to get familiar with Jerry E. Howell plans, but I have seen some great write ups on the Webster here on HMEM. Has anyone built both? Since it is my first I.C. I would like to go with the simpler engine. I am to the point where I need to order some plans or start sourcing materials so any input as to which engine would be better to start with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

Chris. there's no need for you to debate. Since I don't know what your skill level is currently, my suggestion is based on this will be your first I.C. engine build.

Build the Webster first, and then you can go on to building the Power House. If the Webster turns out to be too easy, than you'll be done in no time at all. There are a lot of new things to learn about building I.C. engines that you didn't learn, and never will, even if you built 60 steam engines like I did, before building my first I.C..

The Webster plans are free. Click on the PDF link on the lowest part in the left hand corner of the web page.

http://home.comcast.net/~webster_engines/

-MB

chris, i have built the powerhouse,as my first ic and it runs great,i have not got a video yet to post just a pic in the finished section.i also have the farm boy over half done. jerrys plans are very good to build from, his boy is also good to deal with. i hope to post some pics of my farm boy soon. i think the powerhouse is a good first engine, the cylinder is a little tough as the fins are deep and have taper cut on them but taking your time are not to bad. good luck and i am willing to answer any questions . jonesie

Thanks everyone for your views and suggestions. Yesterday I printed out the Webster plans and have started compiling a list of materials I need to get started. It will probably take me quite awhile to get much done to post any kind of progress. I seem to always have about 15 projects going at once so I may try to finish one or two while I gather the materials and pick up a few small tools I have waiting on a list. I picked the Webster over the PowerHouse because there are some really detailed builds here on HMEM and I still have so much to learn. I have only built a couple of the little air powered motors and I just can't get to excited about them. I know I will probably have a bigger pile of junk parts than usable ones but at least it excites me to think I might be able to build a I.C. engine. Once again thank you to everyone that chimed in, Chris.

Latest posts

Back