Logo

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmechthings

Reaction score
I often wonder how you fellows pick a logo to put along side your name, and what it means. Let you tell you about mine. In the latter part of November my good friend Guy came over to show me his first model engine that he had just barely completed. (it is posted somewhere on the site) While we were visiting, I had a new book laying on my desk. It must have been ordered in error. I thought it was titled 572 pictures of French Bar Girls, but when it arrived it was 572 pictures of French Gargoyles. Oh well, same difference I guess. Guy noticed the book and thumbed through it. Guy is a professional illustrator by trade, and the next morning when I opened my email there was a picture of a Gargoyle with a striking resemblance of myself. He said he just could not resist the temptation to paint it. Now you know what my friends think of me, an old buzzard sitting on the corner of a building. But I'm much more optimistic. I view it as having been immortalized in stone and I'm not even dead yet. The little bird? Oh, he is just there to make a deposit.

scan0001-1.jpg

Not to be out done, and to reciprocate with a little humor of my own, I emailed an image back to him of a "Guygoyle" holding that first model engine.
I'm sorry if this seems a bit silly, but life has too many other problems to remain serious all the time. If you do not unwind a little, you start to get stiff and then they hurry and bury you before you start to stink.
Birk

I have seen a few avatars in my computer time, and I must say that yours ranks among the top two that exist in my world! I would happily get a tee-shirt done up, and say things like," the size of the caliper is reflective of..."! A brilliant bit of imagination!

Imagine if I drew Birk as a French Bar Girl. It has possibilities. Hmmmm...might need to think about that one.

OK the history of my avatar. The Original Logo was designed By one William Force Sr while working for the 177th Fighter Wing NJ Air national guard in the Adio visual services section. The orginal had Atlantic City in White script lettering on the top it was used as a unit patch /Logo back in the 80s. I worked with Bill Jr in the units fabrication shop for a while. So while Taking Tin falcon as a handle I decided to reuse the logo with a slight mod.I have it printed on a few shirts to wear at ME shows.
Tin

Thanks Tin, that is interesting, and gives it some meaning. I'll bet a few other fellows have some reasons for their logos too, other than just a interesting looking design.
Birk

Mine came from a picture I took when facing a 5" hydraulic cylinder head I was making and just happen to snap the picture at the right time. It was turning 1,300 rpm.

clipsfly.jpg

Mine is the stern view of an offshore raiding craft and particulary of the Rolls Royce water jets which much of my working week is spent pondering the repair of, after stuff has been sucked through.

P3050089-1.jpg

My own actually has little to with ME personally. ;D

I've worked in machine shops as a machinst for more than 2/3 of my life.

NEVER turn your back on a machinist!

I've put on gloves that the fingers had been carefully filled with EP grease.
I've tried to put on steel toe boots that had the toes stuffed with paper towels.
I've worn blue stripes because I hadn't noticed that someone had accidentally
smeared Prussian Blue dye on the bottom side of one of my tool box drawer handles.
I even had a notes drawer of a tool box catch fire once. Spontaneous Combustion??

Sometimes it hard to believe intelligence it a requirement for being a machinist.
I would have never done ANY of those things..............
Well maybe in a revenge situation. ;)

Machining can be an "eat you alive" stressful job.
Machinist's will find a vent for that kind of stress.

Hence "WARNING - BEWARE OF THE MACHINIST!" is my logo.

Rick

Mine is from a little doodle I did while sitting in church. Must have been a boring meeting that day. I took it home and added some color with ink washes. I gave it to my good friend Birk and he has it hanging on his wall.
doohicky.jpg

Keep it up Guy. I am sure you will be paid to do commissions to paint peoples avatars on this board. In fact, if you want to do mine...

Eric

btw, I was looking at the books you have illustrated, thats some nice stuff!

Here is a logo I use on another board.
Mascot3.jpg

My USAF upgrade CDCs had a similar little critter on some of the covers. but I drew up this version . I used to get a catalog from the " Third hand "bicycle tool Catalog. You ever feel like you need an extra hand or two in the shop ? well this little guy can do it all!!!
Tin

Latest posts

Back