Little wrench part2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precisionmetal

Reaction score

Thought I'd attempt to step up my game a bit from the last wrench I made (which was 5/32").

This new one is 1/16". It was cut from a piece of .025" thick Starrett shimstock. I decided to stretch the length a little from what would be "proportional" since the wrench becomes difficult to handle because it's so small. Still flank-drive style on the box end like the other one. I haven't been brave enough yet to try putting the 15° kink in the box end like the I did on the larger one, but will attempt it soon.

This was cut using .004" diameter wire on my Agie wire edm machine.

1-16_combo.jpg

1-16_combo2.jpg

That's pretty neat stuff. All I keep thinking about are the possibilities of detailing that can be added to a model.

I don't know anything about the wire EDM stuff you're talking about. Got any pics?

EDM is a sort of CNC bandsaw, except the "saw blade" is a brass wire with an electric current. :hDe:

Since this is the photo and video forum... thought I'd add a couple more photos to this thread.

Stop me if anyone gets bored, or if I'm just over-doing it!

1-16_combo3.jpg

1-16_combo4.jpg

Great vids Pete. Wow. This is better than the movies!

And to see it against a penny is one thing...but what a difference to see it held in fingers. Very cool.

Very nice. I like the little maze on your web site as well-- that's a cool piece.

Hey Pete, Looks like you really like what you do. It shows!!! Nice job!!!

Thanks everyone... yes: I do enjoy making things.

I have this time lapse video on YouTube of a small spline being cut on my wire edm machine. (be warned: wire edm work is NEVER exciting to watch... more akin to watching grass grow!).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsm0VUWnFP0[/ame]

Shred,

Yes... that labyrinth necklace is just about my favorite as well. The one in the photo is quite small... about the size of a quarter. It is based on the 11-row labyrinth that is done in tile on the floor of the Chartres cathedral in France (around 900 years old). The general labyrinth concept has been around for maybe 3000 years (began with the Mayans, I believe). I love that design!

Pete

WOW!!!!
when I was younger I would alway collect small things.
I guess I still do when I find them :big:

do you make allot of smaller parts? your account pic has some neat gears.

anything else you can share? :D

if you have anything that you make that you deem inadequate I would love to pay for a envelope for you to dispose of said items :D

keep up the work I am sure we all want to see more of this. :eek:

Back