Literally stumbled in ...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonBill

Reaction score
I was Googling lathe recommendations and found this gem of a Web site. In my baby boomer dotage, I have found a real interest in simple engines, particularly steam. After reading Stan Bray's book on "Making Simple Model Steam Engines" I knew I just had to have a lathe and that set me on the path that landed me here.
I have one of these guys:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2evHZZCs4[/ame]

And an electric Empire B30, but want to make my own.

Bill, I did basically the same thing and honestly, this has turned into a hobby that has wound up stealing time from my scuba diving (thats my "passion") but I really don't mind cause it's awesome. A lathe is a good first choice. That's what I got first. It gets addicting though. My best advice is listen to the people on here especially the more senior guys about equipment. They seem to know their stuff. If I wasn't so hard headed, I'd probably be a few hundred bucks richer from listening to them haha. My other best advice is not to discount harbor freight. Some of their stuff really is junk. But some of it is awesome if you show it a little love. That's were I got my lathe. I'm already looking at a new one cause 10 inches between centers just isn't really enough. They also have a 20% off any 1 item cupon out right now. They generally put them out several times a year though if that isn't an option right now. If you're a tool junky and not really into the cheap stuff, I finally got a chance to look at one of those little machine shop hi torque lathes with the cross slide power feed and fell in love. It's big enough to make whatever I may need for modeling or small fabrication but I can still pack it up if I have to move it. I'm currently plotting on how I'm going to pitch that to my wife. :fan: Good luck, Bill! -Brandon

Bazmak, no lathe yet. I started out looking at the minis, and now I am looking at the 9 X 20s, especially the Grizzly.
Wagon, it was those darned Harbor Freight lathes that got me tempted. I'm just afraid the small one would be "too small," as you have found. I've got to go hang at the Little Machine Shop site.

Bill, welcome to ChipWorld. This really is a terrific site, with a lot of very helpful and friendly souls subscribing to it. I just wanted to put in my two cents about choice of lathe, since you're already looking at Grizzly.

As many here will tell you the Chinese lathes, like the Grizzly 9x20, are fine if you don't expect a finished product. Rather, treat them as a pre-assembled kit, and be prepared to disassemble, clean, re-fit, and re-assemble the machine...and this is only the beginning, since there are any number of modifications to be made to the lathe that will greatly enhance its usefulness.

And if this sounds discouraging, it shouldn't, it's really a fine experience...your first few projects will be about the lathe itself (relieving you of a lot of decision-making about which engine to build first), and you'll end up in a very short while with a machine that's a pleasure to use, truly your own, and a great bargain into the bargain.

There are any number of websites dedicated to the care and feeding of these lathes...Steve Bedair of Texas has one of the best, and it will lead you to others. Steve has how-to's on a lot of the mods...some essential, some just nice to have. I've made about half of them so far to my Grizzly 9x20, and I'm a happy duck.

All best, and good luck.

I have had the Harbor Freight 7x12 lathe and mini mill for about six months. I have no complains about either. The spindle guard broke on the lathe and the z axis stop broke on the mill, but neither would stop me from recommending these machines. I have not found the lathe too small yet but I have only built three of Elmer's Engines which are pretty small. If you do get a 7x lathe I would recommend the 7x12, not the 7x10. The 7x10 is actually 8 inches between centers and the 7x12 is 12 inches between centers so there is a four inch size difference between the 10 and 12. I also would recommend littlemachineshop.com. I bought tooling packages for both the lathe and mill and found them reasonably priced and good quality. There is also a lot of information for beginners on their site.

I was sure impressed with the lathes at the Little Machine Shop. HF has the little 7X10 up for $499 right now, but I was not terribly impressed at the one I looked at, although I know these little guys are very capable when properly cleaned and tuned. I was thinking about the larger Grizzly because I also have an interest in making 15th-century hand gonnes.

harbor freight isn't the best quality but it's a fully featured lathe and how well it does depends a lot on who's behind the controls, as goes with anything. so take that for what it's worth.

I was sure impressed with the lathes at the Little Machine Shop. HF has the little 7X10 up for $499 right now, but I was not terribly impressed at the one I looked at, although I know these little guys are very capable when properly cleaned and tuned. I was thinking about the larger Grizzly because I also have an interest in making 15th-century hand gonnes.

What's your budget and the size of place you have to put it? Those are the two factors that will come into play the most.

As far as lathes go the bigger the better. You don't want to spend the money and end up with something too small.

When I chose a lathe I picked one that was a size larger (12x36) than I thought I would need and so far it has worked out perfectly.

Gary

Gary, I want to keep it under $1500. I am looking hard at the Grizzly 10X22 G0602. I can make some room for it.

The only thing I'd say, is to take a look at a used but higher quality lathe, than a new one. There's a Hardinge toolroom lathe around here for £300. That's not being a skin flint, but old quality is usually better that new 'quality'. Good luck though, and enjoy yourself! :D

Latest posts

Back