Linux "Q4OS"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention, when it comes to money, I have some, but hate spending it.
I recently found out I have roots from Yorkshire in the 1600s.
And another line goes back to Scottish roots!
I have a simple head, if I can do it with pencil, paper, a hacksaw and file I do not need CAD and a CNC machining centre. So I keep a chalk and slate for odd calculations and notes while working. You may be surprised at what 50 year old skills can do - pre-computer!
K2

Thanks for the wisdom AJ. All my PCs are second hand. The most expensive £40. $400 gets me a flight to the USA, so I have no desire to spend that on a computer.
I'll let you know when I get stuck again,as I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks now.
Cheers!
K2

Hmmmmm - - - - just maybe you might have to 'break the bank' and get yourself something that's a wee bit more capable.
I do hope that your 'daily driver' is a wee bit more up to date or your system is quite likely quite 'hacked'.
M$ 98SE was a good system in its day, but for internet security - - - today especially - - - not so much.

Even if all you're on is here - - - I'm surprised you haven't accumulated more 'data' (downloads) than what you mention.

Hi AJ, I have a lot more data on my newer PC.... but when windows 10 last did a major update it stole a huge whack of memory, and next time M$ dumps new stuff on me I reckon it will collapse. Meanwhile, I hope to get my older PC running on Linux, so I can learn on that PC while retaining my "newer" PC on Windows until I am happy using Linux.
But my latest effort.
I removed all the data files from the old Dell, by moving onto USB drives, and today reset the boot menu to load the Ubuntu I 38 programme. It has wiped the Windows XP, but will only open the "trial" Ubuntu from the USB... not load the full programme to the hard drive. - It has tried 3 times, then I left it to come and have lunch.
But when on the trail version, it works fine. Like a simple Windows used to be.
But what next?
If/when the Proper Ubuntu loads to the hard-drive, I'll load the data-files from the USBs.... I hope?
K2

Linux should have no trouble reading the USB drive, or copying files to the hard drive. You can easily "mount" a Windows partition and read / write those files.

Be aware that the "native" file system for most Linux distros is something called Ext4, whereas Windows' "native" file system is NTFS (not sure when they switched to that - but I think XP used that) or some version of FAT (FAT16, FAT32, etc.). Linux can read or write to any of these with no fuss, but the reverse is not necessarily true - Windows can't read / write an Ext4 system without loading special drivers.

In general, USB drives are typically formatted with some version of FAT, and function as the "lowest common denominator" between different systems.

Thanks AW. I'm not sure what I can do with that information.
When Ubuntu loads from the USB it wipes the C-Drive of ALL information. So my Windows XP has "Gone to the ether"!
Now I think I have figured something.
First, While I still had Windows XP, the USB Ubuntu trial stuff worked OK for me.
So I loaded the "full" Ubuntu to the C-Drive (I think? - I just clicked a button and I think that's what the install prog for Ubuntu was trying to do...). But to make it "finish the installation" I had to re-start the computer. ... BUT, the Boot setting is not to boot from the hard drive, but boot from the USB... so it has been around a loop 4 times now, re-loading Ubuntu from the USB - but not finishing the installation.
So this time I shall not do an "auto-restart" - I think I simply have to turn off the computer, then restart with a change of boot menu to use the C-drive. Then (hopefully?) the Ubuntu can finish installation and continue running from the C-drive, and I can unplug the USB....(???)
Is that logical?
K2

I wondered if I was giving more information than would actually be helpful! Sorry about that.

Normally, when the installation is finished, it asks you to remove the USB drive and then hit enter to restart. This prevents it from re-booting from the USB.

Given a normal Windows installation, it is true that the only way to preserve that Windows data is to set up a dual-boot installation, rather than a complete installation. However, I believe I understood that you copied all of the data off the Windows system before installing; if that is correct, then once Linux is installed, you can copy the data back to your home directory.

Just shut-down, instead of allowing the "restart..."
Pulled the USB out:
Screen said "video mode not supported"... Ubuntu start screen flashed on and off.... => I have a black screen....:oops:

Just switched "ON"... reset boot from C-drive, not USB...
waiting...:rolleyes:

Looks like Ubuntu is loading.... (not holding my breath, just trying to be patient!).:(

Looks like I have Ubuntu! (Praise the software writers!).:cool:
So I'll spend a bit of time tomorrow checking it out and seeing what I can do...

Yes, Andy, I copied all of the data off the Windows system before installing Ubuntu...:)

I hope you are all awaiting some intelligent questions from me, when I really get stuck!;)
K2

I wondered if I was giving more information than would actually be helpful! Sorry about that.

Normally, when the installation is finished, it asks you to remove the USB drive and then hit enter to restart. This prevents it from re-booting from the USB.

Given a normal Windows installation, it is true that the only way to preserve that Windows data is to set up a dual-boot installation, rather than a complete installation. However, I believe I understood that you copied all of the data off the Windows system before installing; if that is correct, then once Linux is installed, you can copy the data back to your home directory.
Hi
I am writing this on a dual boot Linux/Windows PC. The two cohabit easily. Windows doesn't know about Unbuntu but Linux reads the Windows folders.
Unbuntu is a really good choice for an older computer. The only thing Linux doesn't do that well with is games.

Hi Dazz, I can only say "well done". My Linux set-up said it would delete "ALL DATA" on the drive before installation, so I assume "Windows XP has gone and goodbye"... I am not sure how to check this from Ubuntu... I am writing from my "newer" PC as it is about as fast as I need, but the old Dell with Ubuntu is very clunky (verging on "stopped clock", or at least long pendulum clock speed!). I am still trying to convince Google that my account is safe with the Linux set-up.
I don't do "games"... at least not on computers. I never really managed to gain any enthusiasm when I was younger, although did put some coinage into one in the 1970s that was "landing the moon lander"! - The tennis thing on a table top in a bar was just good for supporting my pint of beer!
K2

Ubuntu has stopped. With Foxpro open, I was on the 3rd screen of doing "google" security checks, and it went very slow, then when I closed a couple of google pages and opened "Q40S" - to have a look at "Trinity" (because Baron J insists it works well and I should try it) it simply stopped. I have not been able to do anything for 15 mins....
I wonder if the Linux Ubuntu installation did NOT empty the hard-drive of Windows XP - so the free space I expected isn't there? How can I check that? Just switched back-ON to try and have a look...
Aha! Found it! - 4.3Gb used, 32.2Gb free. So memory looks OK. So what stops Ubuntu dead in its tracks? - It starts Ok, but as slow as I can tolerate, then slows over the first hour of "ON" to a dead stop.
K2

So what stops Ubuntu dead in its tracks? - It starts Ok, but as slow as I can tolerate, then slows over the first hour of "ON" to a dead stop.
K2
Look in the logs. Unlike Windows they are comprehensive and detailed.

I have used a dual boot system using windows 7 and Ubuntu for years, without any problems. First install the windows O.S. and only use half the hard drive. When finished you can the run Ubuntu from the DVD or USB media. At this stage nothing is written to the hard drive but you are given the options to "Try Ubuntu" or "Install Ubuntu". If you choose install, you are then given the options to either 1 "Wipe the drive and install Ubuntu" or 2"Install Ubuntu alongside windows". Choose 2. At the end of the installation process you are asked to remove the installation media and hit "Enter". When you re-boot the computer, you get a menu asking which O.S. you want to start. scroll to the one you want and hit "Enter". Ubuntu or Mint ( which is basicly ubuntu with a different GUI) can be downloaded from the internet and used to create installation media. (DVD or USB memory).
Hope this helps.

Hi
Learn to use the command line interface (CLI).
Learn about logs.
Open a terminal and issue the commands
cd /var/logs
ls
less syslog

page up and down to view contents.
look for warning and error messages.
to exit, press q

Linux is the opposite of Windows. It exposes all the things that windows hides.
Join forums to find/get advice.

Hi Dave, being in my world of an old limited size of PC.....
Windows XP took 27Gb of the 37Gb of the hard drive. So to load 8Gb of Ubuntu seemed like it would be too much.... (even Windows XP struggled and was slow and unstable when my 8Gb of data files filled the space after XP!...).
So I pressed 1. Yesterday, it seemed like a sensible thing to do, as the trial Ubuntu working in Windows worked fine, and looked like something I could use.
Hindsight is always clearer than foresight though....
I now have Ubuntu on 4.5 with the rest of the hard-drive Empty. No Windows. And a very slow Ubuntu.
So I am wondering what has gone wrong....
K2

Something is definitely not right if Linux is limping along. This is the sort of situation where I really want to be physically present with the computer - it can be maddening to diagnose remotely, but relatively easy to fix if I can get my hands on it. (I've been down this road many times as the "designated geek" for the family!)

All that to say ... is there any way to find a Linux user in your area who would be glad to come and help you in return for a glass or two? We will do our best, but the difference in time and frustration will be orders of magnitude.

Thanks for the moral support Andy. I am off to France for a holiday soon, so this project will be shelved for a couple of weeks.
I'll get back to it... When I do.
Looks like I need a local chat line contact.
I'll post something to let you know how I get on, but a few weeks time. So don't get frustrated on my behalf.
Chill, my friend.
Thanks,
Ken

27Gb is crazy. Windows XP with sevice pack 3 will fit comfortably into 4Gb. You must have had a awful lot of crap on your hard drive to fill it up that much. I hope you backed up your files before you wiped them installing Linux.

Thanks Dave. There were a lot of what I guess were "maintenance" folders for Muck Coffin security as well as Windows, but I haven't any idea what to do with those. They went with the Linux clean-up I think? I know every time micro-sox updated windows that lots of Gb dissapeared from being usable. Filled with what I thought was MS files...?
My 10Gb of data is still on a USB stick, awaiting a new home.
K2

Back