Lawnmower Stub

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So glad I can thread now and will improve, this is a simple job for all of you but meant a lot to me, I am restoring a Dixon Lawnmower, on the top of the deck is the tension pulley on a bracket, the bolt or stub that held the pulley was worn and the threads bad so I went to the Dixon dealer, he had the arm and wanted a arm and leg for it, sixty dollars, I said I don't think so, come home and knocked it out, machined one that should be better than what they had on there, will post a pic of them, the factory one had threads all the way down and had spacers on it, this one had the shoulder and I will tack well it on there, the fun of having a lathe and can thread, thanks for the help from you fellow to get me this far, Lath Nut
Lawnmowerstub.jpg

Nice job there Lathe Nut.

Great feeling when you can repair your own equipment using your talent, eh? Have to ask. Did you single point that thread? If you did then I :bow: to you. If not I still :bow: to you for not having spent that $60 on a part that was fun to make. Now you have $60 to spend on tooling. :big:

Bernd

It's nice to be able to walk away and let them keep their $60 rip off bolt and rely on your own abilities!

Thanks fellows, It was threaded with a single point tool, I so far find that to be the most rewarding thing that I have done on the lathe, yes it was nice to say keep that piece for someone who really needs it, like I told my wife there is another sixty dollars off the cost of the lathes and tooling, I stopped in a Belt store to get some belts for the Dixon, cost less and are better that the ones at the mover shop, the fellow that works there was beating out a bushing on a pulley to replace it with a larger one, he was on the floor with a claw hammer and punch, I said fellow there is a better was than that, so I went home and made two sizes 5/16 and a 3/8 dia. with the top 3/4 X 5 inch long and knurled it, brought it back to the fellow and said here are some real bushing drivers, I did not have to pay for the belts and he said I will not have to pay for anymore, no matter how many I need, just keep him in bushing drivers, I will post a pic of the next ones that I make for him, some of you can do that where you live, he was as happy as I was when I cut my first good threads, I so enjoy this group, you are a wonderful bunch of fellow, Lathe Nut

How about posting some pics of the lawnmower you are restoring? I would love to see them,and I bet others on this site would too. ;D

My home shop was originally set up to make parts for the antique
small engines I restore and collect.

Nice work lathe nut!

I will post a pic of the Dixon mower when I am done before I delivery it to the fellow, this is the deal, he has a 72" Scag, with the deck out front, Kabota three cylinder engine, he wants to trade even swap for the Dixon, I went to look at the Scag, its in great shape but he tired to hot wire the safety switch and could not start it, while possible being madd he tryed to load it with a fork life and broke the wheel hydraulic motor on one side, that is a seven hundred dollar mistake and now it does not run, I hope to be able to machine a new shaft for the motor, so he is getting a Dixon that has a new deck, new bearings through out the machine, new tires, new seat, all new belts, blades and clutch, I want him to be very please cause I am, I have five acers to cut.
Rake60, I have restored several over the years and ended up giving them away, I have only a few old riding mower left no more engine, still love to work on them or they work on me.
Hope to finish the Dixon this weekend, will post pic's have fun today, Lathe Nut

I paid $15 for this little gem.

Rocket%20Mower%20Blower%20Side.jpg

Three months later I sold this for $275 on eBay.

Rocket%20Mower%20Done%20Right.jpg

It started first pull of the lever every time and cut to golf green specs.
Old Briggs engines never die, they just stiffen up a bit. ;)

Rick

That looks nice Rick ........... but I suspect you put a "few hours" work etc into it ;)

CC

Rick, that looks great, I had two a Toro and a Jackobs, I think there were 1947, got them running and played with them for a while then threw them away, am I smart or what, it is nice to do that work and know that someone wants it and it going to probably take care of it, until the next one, Lathe Nut

Bernd said:
Good for you Lathe Nut. That makes this hobby much more "funner".

Bernd

Uhmmm, the corrent english is "funnerer"...sheesh.

Latest posts

Back