Lathe Tooling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radar

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Who do you all buy from? I am specifically looking for indexable tools for my lathe. I've checked out the usual suspects (Shars, MSC, Grizzly) but I wanted to see what else is out there.

Also, QCTP holders- they are totally awesome but where else can I find them and not pay an arm and a leg for them? I really like the ones that also double as a cutting tool (#16? I believe) but again, from Aloris and the like the price is way out of my range.

I had considered trying to DIY some stuff using the regular #1 tool holders. If anyone has tried this? I was considering trying to convert some HSS tool holders to work with a QCTP.

Thanks all!

Hello everyone!

Who do you all buy from? I am specifically looking for indexable tools for my lathe. I've checked out the usual suspects (Shars, MSC, Grizzly) but I wanted to see what else is out there.
Auctions and model engineering shows can sometimes be real bargains. Out of necessity I try to avoid retail pricing when it makes sense. Sometimes it doesn't make sense, I'd rather pay good money for taps that are sharp and of high quality. There is nothing worst than a project delayed due to a broken tap.
Also, QCTP holders- they are totally awesome but where else can I find them and not pay an arm and a leg for them? I really like the ones that also double as a cutting tool (#16? I believe) but again, from Aloris and the like the price is way out of my range.
Well you can make your own. Aloris is pretty cheap, you should see what Hardinge charges for a QCTP for the HLV series of lathes.

I mention making your own because frankly the extremely low cost QCTP out there leave a lot to be desired. Model engineers being very resourceful have come up with dozens of innovative designs for QCTPs. Beyond that the QCTP has to fit your lathe.
I had considered trying to DIY some stuff using the regular #1 tool holders. If anyone has tried this? I was considering trying to convert some HSS tool holders to work with a QCTP.
We need some context here. I have a QCTP for use on my 9x20 but it doesn't fit the compound well at all. I have it on a shop made square block of steel.
Thanks all!

No problem. Just remember all the parts need to fit your specific lathe. Also; to get started learning the craft you really don't need a QCTP. QCTP are in fact very handy but if you are just starting out there is no real advantage and frankly it really pays to learn early how it set up and use HSS tooling.

I've heard of CDCO before, I was just curious about what all is out there.

Wizard, this isn't my first rodeo with the lathe. I am in a live steam club that has two. I know how to grind HSS bits, cannot stand it at all.
The lathe that I am buying is a Jet 1024 from the 70s? I believe.

Wizard, I really don't enjoy cutting HSS bits. If it's needed, I'll do it. But I cant stand it.

Auctions and model engineering shows can sometimes be real bargains. Out of necessity I try to avoid retail pricing when it makes sense. Sometimes it doesn't make sense, I'd rather pay good money for taps that are sharp and of high quality. There is nothing worst than a project delayed due to a broken tap.

As far as carbide insert tooling well there are many suppliers , I will try to add a couple of more: 1. Kenneth Crosby, 2. Grainger, 3. Liberty Tool, 4. Horizons Solutions, 5. Abrasive Tool, 6. Production Machining, 7. Fastenal, 8. Industrial Distribution Group, 9. E&R Industrial (Grainger), and etc. this list can go on for ages. I would suggest looking into up you local situation first.

Also these days there are manufactures selling direct. Fire up your web browser and search around a bit.
Well you can make your own. Aloris is pretty cheap, you should see what Hardinge charges for a QCTP for the HLV series of lathes.

I mention making your own because frankly the extremely low cost QCTP out there leave a lot to be desired. Model engineers being very resourceful have come up with dozens of innovative designs for QCTPs. Beyond that the QCTP has to fit your lathe. Obviously once you have a QCTP base incorporating indexable tooling is only a new holder away.

We need some context here. I have a QCTP for use on my 9x20 but it doesn't fit the compound well at all. I have it on a shop made square block of steel.

No problem. Just remember all the parts need to fit your specific lathe. Also; to get started learning the craft you really don't need a QCTP. QCTP are in fact very handy but if you are just starting out there is no real advantage and frankly it really pays to learn early how it set up and use HSS tooling.

Wizard, I really don't enjoy cutting HSS bits. If it's needed, I'll do it. But I cant stand it.

I tried editing my post and sadly responded to my own post instead. I added a list of suppliers some local to me others national.

As for grinding HSS, I understand but sometimes it isn't cost effective in a home shop to do specialized carbide insert tooling. That said I prefer insert tooling myself in many cases, especially for simple turning and milling. It has been a long day at work and I missed the intent of your post initially. Hopefully my replying to myself better gets at what you want.

In the end there are so many sources for tooling that it isn't possible to list them all. One approach is to find a manufacture of inserts you are interested in and use their web based distributor finder. You may run into a problem with some vendors though as they may not be willing to sell to you without a business account. Grainger is one example but that seems to vary by state.

Personally when I have to I order from MSC or Travers. Since I don't get a business discount I try to benefit from their sales brochures. In the end if you need something you have to pay the price. Frankly I've had good luck with both of these vendors. We also use MSC and Travers a lot at work. Mc Master-Carr is another big catalog company but they don't seem to be highly focused on the machining industry.

Thanks Wizard.

Something I failed to mention- most of what I will be doing is machining live steam locomotives (16mm scale, Mamod sized roughly) and I was almost considering just buying a Taig mill and lathe and being done with it.

Mostly because Taig is right down the road from me here in Arizona, but also because I have larger machines with my live steam club (I own a Lagun FTV1 that is literally too big for my garage- so it is with them) that is right down the street from me.

I hadn't planned on making too many large steam engines, but smaller ones I had planned on going crazy with.

90% of my swarfs are made by 2mm almost square carbide (Hardened steel,mild steel, stainless,bras,alu POM etc) in a home made holder.
It is about two minutes to regrind and put back on lathe.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=25950.

I still have some CCMTs on some homemade holders

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=10175

but have not used it for awhile.

For parting of see

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=10176

All three systems are miles more rigid (better) than any QCTP system and not very much slower.

I second Mr. Abildgaard's comments about tangential cutting. Whether shop-made or bought, the tangential holder eliminates all of the problems of making tool bits. A minute on the grinder, a bit of polishing, and back to making swarf. One face to grind. One setup for facing or turning. Mirror finish on most materials.

I cannot fathom why this design is not widely used and universally recommended, especially to those starting out. There are endless woeful tales about tool grinding and pleas for advice, while a simple, easy, and cheap solution is available. M2 HSS beats carbide any day on price, and for most of us with less rigid machines is equal in performance. For 90% or more of my turning, a tangential cutter just works.

Hello mr Carlson

Will You be interested in testing my 2mm square carbide plus holder compared to the best HSS you have?
If you tell me distance from top of compund surface to centerline I may have a holder.
If You also tell me Yor adress things go of monday.
Given same degree of tender loving care resharpening(2 minutes) carbide will be even with HSS all the time and more,but it is nice if it can be confirmed from a respected and independent source.
A 3mm round 65mm long ,polished carbide is around 2€ and my almost square 2mm will be around 20 €.Best german

If you want a QCTP you will need to shop around a bit but don't let all the under-informed posts about them put you off buying something ready made.
This is my RDG Tools branded copy of the Dickson QCTP with an indexable insert carbide tool taking two 5mm OD reduction cuts (2.5mm cut depth) on a bar of 30mm OD 304 Stainless steel with a rough cut end.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUI2GIGTz_c[/ame]

The tool post is mounted directly to the "woefully inadequate" Myford Super 7 Top Slide with the original Myford tool-holder bolt and nut from the scrap box.
If you believe everything posted by proponents of "Magic Tool Posts and Holders" of all Stripes then this video shows the impossible, carried out using the improbable by the unreasonable ;-)

- Nick

Everyone has opinions probably based off of their experiences or someone elses.

I won't really get into a twist unless I have a problem, then I will switch over.
Will 5/16" bits work on a Taig?

I won't really get into a twist unless I have a problem, then I will switch over.

I'm basing my Myford tests on the OPs' claim that rigidity is an issue on Myfords which can be addressed by Tangenitals ;-)

Most of those opinions are valid to some degree. A common opinion I dismiss completely is that insert tooling isn't worth it in a small lathe. I strongly believe there is good reason to have a mix of technologies in ones tool box.

This is one of those things that you can make in any style you want. 5/16" is pretty handy in size, not too big and not too small. Admittedly largish for a Taig but usable none the less. The only time size is a real problem is when grinding takes far longer for no real gain.

The Aloris 16 (I have one) is not a great, but is an expensive tool, while using cheap inserts (TPG/TPU 321/322), the finish quality is below average. You would be better off using tooling that uses CCMT inserts.

Most of those opinions are valid to some degree. A common opinion I dismiss completely is that insert tooling isn't worth it in a small lathe. I strongly believe there is good reason to have a mix of technologies in ones tool box.

This is one of those things that you can make in any style you want. 5/16" is pretty handy in size, not too big and not too small. Admittedly largish for a Taig but usable none the less. The only time size is a real problem is when grinding takes far longer for no real gain.

They are HSS bit holders. Considering that they are on sale I think that I might nab a set. The bit itself is 1/8".

Latest posts

Back