Lathe tool grabbing and related cutting issues.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Marv.

I went with the 120V version. While battery can be convenient, it just seems I'm always picking up a battery powered something to find it's out of charge or, in the case of 'standard' batteries, someone has stolen the batteries.

Bolted down...yep.

I saw the flexible shaft at the store...almost bought it...but again, until I see my use reach some critical point...I can wait.

Repairs around the house...I thought that was what son-in-laws were for.

Started work on the cross slide.
Plan is to take apart, clean, put together, install, and adjust.

The last time I did this, the gib simply fell out.
No falling out this time. Couldn't budge it with fingers either. Hm.
Loosened gib screws and then the gib was free.

It appeared as if the gib screws had dug in (partially threaded themselves) into the gib. [EDIT: Didn't thread themselves. The ends of the screws are not threaded but are a smaller diameter than the screw itself and hence the original screws. Small enough that they actually dug into the gib - sort of like a press fit.]

Is this 'normal'?

The gib screws were replaced several months ago from a 'tweaks' kit I got from LMS. The screws have that bit of plastic along the thread so a nut is not required.

Could I have screwed them in too tight when trying to (learn how to) adjust? Very possible. I had all sorts of trouble adjusting this and can't say I was happy with result.

Anyway...now to find something flat to lay down some sandpaper and smooth the gib. I don't think I'll go the way of modding the nut in the cross slide (i.e. cutting it in two). I need to build more experience first.

Just a note to other newbies like me...

When I first got my lathe...I knew virtually nothing about machining or things very mechanical. (Not a complete dunce mind you...but it was all self-learned.)

Anyway...first job was to clean up and adjust the lathe. There was much about it I didn't understand. For example, using two opposing screws as an adjuster. So I did the best I could.

Now I'm in the process of breaking down, cleaning, assembling, and adjusting the lathe. I can see I've learned some things since last time. (Many many thanks to this forum.)

My point being...when starting out and learning...it's worthwhile to do this more often. You learn more and get a better operating machine. I should have done this after my last engine before starting another.

Done. He said.

All put back together.
More rigid. More smooth. And clean. :) I wish I could same the same for me. :(

Investigating the compound slide revealed the gib to be offset by about 0.1 inch.
That is, I could see the dig-ins from the new gib screws (same as what I mentioned before). I don't know if that was part of the problem or if the thing jammed somehow. I suspect it was poor assembly the first time.

Was a little more careful this time and the left/right movement is much much better than what I'd remembered.

Things seemed pretty tight yet smooth. Happy. Then I put the QC tool back on. When I apply front/back pressure to that...you can see the gap appear again between the compound and cross slide. This is what I had described before.

This time not nearly so bad but I don't think I can really do much about it. I haven't come across any mods that address this. (I'll just leave that little opportunity lying there. ;D)

However...by tightening up the center gib screw, I can't push the QC and get a gap. Some of you have mentioned tightening the center gib screw before cutting so I think that's what I'll have to remember to do. Particularly when parting...it's critical then.

Thanks all. I've enjoyed this and learned a lot from the experience and the members.

I replaced the center gib screw on my compound (admittedly an entirely different lathe) with a small finger screw that I made. Not needing to use a tool to tighten things makes it more likely that I'll lock it when it's appropriate to do so.

mklotz said:
I replaced the center gib screw on my compound (admittedly an entirely different lathe) with a small finger screw that I made. Not needing to use a tool to tighten things makes it more likely that I'll lock it when it's appropriate to do so.

I remember you talking about that. I expect to do the same once I've used it enough to develop a feel.

Thanks Marv.

Good going Zee.

Did you check the tips of the screws while they were out ? - they should be smooth and possibly rounded or pointed depending on your lathe...
On my lathe, the gibs have concave dimples in them where the screws meet them, and the screws have rounded tips - which makes adjusting easy, and does not "eat" into the gibs... - just a thought.

Kind regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back