Lathe Slotting Attachment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work, I love that handle.
I'm definately going to have to try and drop by and see your workshop alhough I think I will end up leaving with a serious case of tool envy. :big:

tmuir said:
Great work, I love that handle.
I'm definately going to have to try and drop by and see your workshop alhough I think I will end up leaving with a serious case of tool envy. :big:
Thanks tmuir ,your more than welcome to call in ;D

Look'n like a fine piece coming together Rob...the handle makes it.

Regards

Philly

Cheers Philly thanks for comments ;D, i managed a bit more tonight , i profiled the ends of the links and anchors with a 3/8R form tool.
if i get time tomorrow i will stick the anchors in the four jaw to finish them.

P2180005.JPG

P2180008.JPG

P2180010.JPG

Nice set up with the Horizontal....thought I was the only one with one!

#12 VanNorman.....

Looking Good Rob!

Dave

Coming along very nice!

That will be one sweet tool to have in the arsenal!

Rob,

Talk about the complete tool maker.
wow.gif
Wonderful stuff. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks all for the comments they are very much appreciated, I no the tool is not an engine,but this and one other attachment to the the lathe will be required to make some parts for an engine i am thinking about making, I normally do my slotting on my 101year old shaper,but i have had this tool in mined to do the job , wile the work is already set up concentric in the lathe.
steamer said:
Nice set up with the Horizontal....thought I was the only one with one!

#12 VanNorman.....

Looking Good Rob!

Dave
Hi Dave there great for some jobs , mine is a Aciera F3 horizontal,vertical mill
Thanks all Rob

RobWilson said:
....Hi Dave there great for some jobs , mine is a Aciera F3 horizontal,vertical mill
Thanks all Rob

I have an F1 also!...... ;D....nice mill!

Dave

Great Mill, Dave ;D
I finished off the anchors in the four jaw , then i made some nuts for them ,i started with a length of 1" SS bar setup on the mill in the rotary table and gang milled the hex 5/8 on both ends , then placed in the lathe drilled,tapped , chamfer and parted off, i think tomorrow i will make some SS bolts,nuts and bronze bushes

P2190005.JPG

P2190006.JPG

P2190007.JPG

P2190009.JPG

steamer said:
Otherwise between the wear on the face of the links and loose bolts, your for ever messing with it and it lets the ram turn, which if it happens in use can mess up the keyway.

Dave

Years ago I made up a sloting attachment from Dore Engineering. To prevent the ram turning, a key was fitted to the top of the casting. The ram has a keyway on the top to prevent any turning. The lever arrangement is almost identical to the one you show.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Hi All ,a bit more dun today , made some bronze bushes for the lever,machined up some nuts and bolts , i added some oil ways to the bolts, center drilled (to fit oil can end) then cross drilled, then a trial fit up as the ram anchor and bottom link are tapped the bolts are adjusted to give a smooth action and then the locking nuts tightend up,then stroke adjusted,just the front of the ram to finish and some tooling to make.
Rob

P2220004.JPG

P2220002.JPG

P2220007.JPG

P2220008.JPG

Rob,

That's an attachment to be very proud of. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob and Alan , made a start on some tooling for the slotter tonight,then school boy impatience kicked in an i decided to finish one of the tools and give it ago,so i stuck a lump of SS (thinking if it works OK on SS it will cut anything else) in the chuck mounted the tool and off i went, about 2 minutes later i had a nice clean 1/8" Keyway ;D
Rob

P5270004.JPG

P5270005.JPG

P5270006.JPG

Say Rob,

Well done...It's always nice to have it work out right eh.

Regards

Philly

Damn Sexy ....in a lathe attachment sort of way..... ;D

I really liked mine, I am sure you will too! I need to make your handle though!

Great Job!

Dave

Rob,

I've followed this thread from the start and have to say it is impressive. Especially knowing that it is your own casting. Well done; very well done. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bob

Nice, thats a quality bit of kit, well done.

Hi all , i would like to thank everybody for there comments and intrest in this project :bow:, i have a few more tool holders to make of differant sizes , but the real reason i need the slotting tool is for my next engine ether Elmer's gear engine or another similar one i have plans for, both have internal gears witch i would like to have a go at cutting myself .hope to make a start this weekend.
Thanks again everybody Rob

Back