Lathe opinions plz

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpleknif

Reaction score
Lookin to buy a new lathe in the $1500 range. Soooo... Grizzly, Enco, or ?
Anyone have experience with these? Been a machinist for 30 years so I sorta know what to expect and what to look for.
I have a nice 7 x 10 but its a 7 x 10.
Mostly interested in what kind of support ( spares, tooling, chucks, etc) is available.

Thanx

G0602 10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

You may also want to read here :

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f13/tips-selecting-lathe-will-thread-19213/index2.html

5" 3-Jaw chuck with two sets of jaws
6-1/2" 4-Jaw chuck with reversible jaws
8" Faceplate
Steady rest with 1/4"–2" capacity
Follow rest with 1/4"–2" capacity
MT #3 dead center
4-Way tool post
Chip tray and backsplash
Hardened & ground V-way bed
Oil-bath gearbox
Tool box with service tools
Number of longitudinal feeds: 9
Range of longitudinal feeds: 0.0023–0.013 IPR
Number of inch threads: 33
Range of inch threads: 8–72 TPI
Number of metric threads: 26
Range of metric threads: 0.25–3.5mm
Overall dimensions: 46" L x 22" W x 16-5/8" H
Approximate shipping weight: 453 lbs.

Tin

Auto forum question
"I need a bigger truck? Ford, GMC, Chevy?"
Answer
"Get a 70 year old American truck that you will have to completely disassemble, find parts, probably make some."

Excuse the sarcasm, but I've been looking for a Heavy 10 or an HLV-H for two years and they are either complete dogs or are priced way out of line.

If I wanted to move up from a 7x10 for a reasonable amount of money, I'd do just what Tin suggested. I have one, I've built 10 engines in the last 2 years with it and have had zero problems. Is it perfect? Of course not, but it is very reliable and Griz has GREAT customer service.

I have replaced the motor (not a thing wrong with it) for a VFD and variable speed. Bought a 5C and new 3-jaw. Added a DRO and independent carriage feed, and of course a QCTP.

I'd buy it again. No complaints.

My mill (BF20) was fine also but I've gotten the Bridgeport bug. Hey, isn't that 50 year old American iron?

i agree if you want trouble free best option is buy new.

some people enjoy disassembling, making parts , etc. i for one do.

overpricing is a problem. takes time to find a decently priced machine and most people advertise lies about their machines.

Different strokes. I've seen some beautifully restored BP's and Southbends that must have taken years to complete. Drool-worthy.
I saw two Monarch 10EE lathes at a machinery dealer last week. Just taken out of production. Still had swarf in the tray. They deserve to be restored.

Before you purchase a vintage machine you might want to consider a new or later model machine with dual ASE and Metric dials and change gears that allow cutting metric threads. When I purchased my lathe back in 1985 the salesman wanted me to buy one of the in-stock lathes without Metric dials and change gears for cutting metric threads. I remember him telling me I would never use them. I went ahead and ordered a Lathe with them and waited for delivery. Today most of my projects use Metric Dimensions and Threads. Yes, you can convert most projects from Metric to ASE but keeping it metric is part of the fun, for me anyway. It's also nice when you can purchase a hardware kit optionally available with castings which are only available in Metric when I buy non-American kits.

I just finished restoring a 13" South Bend. Renovating it truly is a labor of love.

I do intend to get a second lathe at some point, one that is capable of both SAE and metric, and has "brand new" ways. Will probably use it as my "toolroom" lathe, and my old SB for my general purpose work.

If your goal is to make chips, buying newer is probably better. If you have an affinity for old American Iron, nothing else will replace it... but yeah do expect to put weeks if not months of work into it.

Lookin to buy a new lathe in the $1500 range. Soooo... Grizzly, Enco, or ?
You have lots of choices when it comes to vendors. I'd worry more about getting a lathe that fits your needs.
Anyone have experience with these? Been a machinist for 30 years so I sorta know what to expect and what to look for.
I'd have to say the common suggestion that the sub $2000 machines are kits is still reasonably true. The larger machines tend to be sold into non hobby markets and thus are a bit better constructed.
I have a nice 7 x 10 but its a 7 x 10.
I have a 9x20 and frankly have wished at times that I went bigger. I'm limited to what can easily go into a cellar shop right now but I sorta see the value in a struggle to install a machine. A days or so worth of work can lead to having a machine that will last a lifetime.
Mostly interested in what kind of support ( spares, tooling, chucks, etc) is available.
This is the other part of the equation. Larger lathes can support things like collet closers elegantly. Tool posts for larger lathes aren't a big compromise which is a huge advantage.

Obviously you need to find a balance between physical size and expense. With the 7x10 you have learned what too small is for your situation. The trick now is to find what is practical for you in the other direction. I'd recommend seriously looking at machines larger than the 9x20 if your usage justifies a new machine.

The above is a general statement, if you post more info about your interests I'm certain more answers will come.

This is a very nice machine. That 453 pounds is nothing to sneeze at an can give people reason to fret. Often what I do is disassemble the machine to make it easier to move in place. The problem with lathes is the amount of mass in the bed which may require tool rental. In the end any struggle to install such a machine should be well worth the expense.

If someone is looking to move past a 7x10 this is a good starting point to consider.

G0602 10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

You may also want to read here :

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f13/tips-selecting-lathe-will-thread-19213/index2.html

5" 3-Jaw chuck with two sets of jaws
6-1/2" 4-Jaw chuck with reversible jaws
8" Faceplate
Steady rest with 1/4"–2" capacity
Follow rest with 1/4"–2" capacity
MT #3 dead center
4-Way tool post
Chip tray and backsplash
Hardened & ground V-way bed
Oil-bath gearbox
Tool box with service tools
Number of longitudinal feeds: 9
Range of longitudinal feeds: 0.0023–0.013 IPR
Number of inch threads: 33
Range of inch threads: 8–72 TPI
Number of metric threads: 26
Range of metric threads: 0.25–3.5mm
Overall dimensions: 46" L x 22" W x 16-5/8" H
Approximate shipping weight: 453 lbs.

Tin

Thanx for the input. Prolly gonna go with the griz. I hear their customer support is great. Got a real Bull mill. GREAT machine but support and upgrade availability is lacking. Thing like belt drive kits & power feeds just ain't there. Got the gas spring and had to modify a bunch of stuff cuz my column is ribbed in the back.

Talked to Grizzly today. Gonna give Flea bay a couple of weeks and if nothin' comes up I'm gonna get a G0752.

Sounds like a plan. the VS motor and tach are nice additions to the one I suggested. I do not like it when people give options above budget.
Let us know how you make out.
Tin

Well this must be my lucky day. Got a catalog from Grzzly about a wek ago and pretty much decided on a G0602 lathe. Then yesterday I got an e-mail with a 10% off code. Was gonna drive to the Muncy PA showroom to look at it and make sure. (about 5 hrs) Took some measurements and it should fit in my trunk (Toyota Camry) if I uncrate it. Guess I'm gonna get it sooner than I thought. Now to get rid of my 7 x 10. Gonna need a new bench too but the heavy sears ones are going on sale sunday.

I've owned a G0602 for almost 6 years. Other than replacing the motor (the original died after 5 years) it has served me very well. It really didn't need much tweaking in order to produce good results. Good luck with your new lathe

Cheers,
Phil

Just ordered a Griz go602 with my 10% off coupon. 3 to 5 days and I'll have to get to work. Now if I could just sell my 7 x 10.

My new GO602 showed up yesterday. Got it home from work and into my garage. Good thing I got a strong neighbor. Now I gotta take the mill apart and get it off the old bench, dump the old bench, assemble the new bench, mount the machines again and get back to work. Will post pics when done.

Latest posts

Back