• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Lathe parts needed after accident.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son after moving into a new place was trying to install leveling bolts in his lathe, he tipped it over onto the control side. He's 200 miles away is why he tried it on his own. Does anyone know of a lathe that is being scrapped?
HIs damaged lathe is a Rutland 1236 back gear belt lathe. 1987 RUTLAND MACHINE LATHE, MODEL 2649-1190, S/N 873690, 12" X 36"
It looks just like a Jet 1236py 1024/1236-s, Grizzly G9249, Crown DSC-900cb, Enco 110-2033 / 1102079. Of what I could find on the net.
The parts needed are the quick change cover, both quick change levers, both handles on the carriage, and some other parts. Please let me know.....Thanks...Steve
(925)876-3377

Last edited:
A professional welder adept at brazing might at least be worth asking. Had a mishap with a casting and it was put back together perfectly saving me several hundred dollars. Lot of talent out there in the world.

I agree
It is not hard job to do.
Most time is spent setting up for the weld.
I would use brazing.

Dave

A professional welder adept at brazing might at least be worth asking. Had a mishap with a casting and it was put back together perfectly saving me several hundred dollars. Lot of talent out there in the world.

If you can braze I would give it a try after aligning as best as you can.
Seems quite a lot of lathes suffer a capsize.
I ran a huge Lodge & Shipley 14 for years (although it would swing more like 18 plus inches) that had many brazed & fabricated parts on it after a fall.
It worked fine.
My SB9 at some point in it’s life also had signs of a fall, i later found that the apron had been brazed (very good job, couldn’t see the repair from outside) & carriage handwheel was bent & cracked. I bought a used apron& hand wheel for it, SB9 parts were cheap 35 yrs ago.
Point is, it may be repairable, worth a try.
Good luck

Thank you all for the replies, I will braze the quick change brackets but did order a gearbox cover and hand wheels from Grizzly as Pbilling13 said. These part will be very close, so maybe we'll get them to work, Grizzly's price's are fair enough to try it.

Steve

You can also TIG weld the casting with a nickel rod. I just did this on an old well pump casing. It works well and it finishes well with grinding and polishing

Thank you all for the replies, I will braze the quick change brackets but did order a gearbox cover and hand wheels from Grizzly as Pbilling13 said. These part will be very close, so maybe we'll get them to work, Grizzly's price's are fair enough to try it.

Steve
I thimpfks any of these methods would work fine, as nothing you mentioned is critical to the machine, that is for a machined part being made.

Latest posts

Back