Lathe Height

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I installed casters under my lathe stand today to make it easier for the move. The casters raised the lathe so the spindle center is now about 50" from the floor. I'm kind of liking it that way. I'm 6' 1" tall and it makes it a easier see what I'm doing without stooping over. Anybody else have any thoughts on whether that is too high or not?

Chuck

cfellows said:
I installed casters under my lathe stand today to make it easier for the move. The casters raised the lathe so the spindle center is now about 50" from the floor. I'm kind of liking it that way. I'm 6' 1" tall and it makes it a easier see what I'm doing without stooping over. Anybody else have any thoughts on whether that is too high or not?

Chuck

I tend to set height so that when in the working position, hopefully sitting, arms at my side with forearms at 90 degrees my hands are at the same level as the controls. Workbench would be my hands would just be touching the top, the lathe I used the cross slide wheel. Keeps my back erect, works for me.

Chuck,
My tool room lathe, a Far East copy of a Hardinge, has the C/L of the spindle at 50 inches on the factory stand. It is a little bit high for me as I can not see the work over the tool post. But, at 5'6" (almost), I am much shorter than you. I am building a fold out platform riser to give me an additional 3 inches. I played with it quite a bit and that seems about right for me. Comparing our height differences, I think 50 inches would be fine for you as my adjusted height would be the equivalent of about 53 inches for you. I would say go for it.

After your move, I would get rid of the casters and put solid spacers in to replace them so you don't get in to lathe bed twisting issues from the lathe shifting around. Good luck on the move. I hope it all goes smooth.

Gail in NM,USA

Guys,

The height should be a height you are comfortable with and each of us is different, not only in height but the way we work.

I once had the misfortune to work and old Bundaberg flatbed lathe. It had a 12' bed and a swing of 18" over the gap. The machine was fine but for me, it was too small to be big and too big to be small. Everything was at the wrong height, the wrong width etc. 8 hours on that beast and I was ready to explode. Changing chucks was a portable gantry job but at least they were on a backplate and not threaded on the spindle.

Best Regards
Bob

The usual guideline is to have the lathe height such that the carriage handwheel is at elbow height. Your back will be a lot happier if you have no tendency to stoop over.

Foozer said:
I tend to set height so that when in the working position, hopefully sitting, arms at my side with forearms at 90 degrees my hands are at the same level as the controls. Workbench would be my hands would just be touching the top, the lathe I used the cross slide wheel. Keeps my back erect, works for me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was afraid I was just being lazy.

websterz said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was afraid I was just being lazy.

No fear on my part :0

Not wanting to hijack the thread, a loose association to height. Those that like stools, don't get a dark covered one. Have no idea how much time I spend going in circles looking for the chuck key, like it has a home, do I put it back? do I spend 20 minutes trying to figure out where I set it down at . . . AGAIN!

Cant go through the day without playing the "Wheres Waldo" game.

seat-a1.jpg

[/hijack]

Hey Guys speaking of lathe height which is proper to stand and run a lathe or to sit and run one back in the 70's I always stood 10-12 hours a day but part of my health issues is I can't stand very long I have thought about setting my lathe's up to where I can set and run them what do you guys think. Cliff

I have a lathe designed for schools, colleges and hence short-arses. I am ove 6 foot so made a frame of 6x3 timbers to stand it on. Works for me. My other lathe is a seig C3 which sits on the bench but the bench is over a metre off the floor. My humble opinion is either sit and work or stand tall and work but don't stoop or work slightly bent over whichever is chosen....it hurts like hell after a while.

Julian

Latest posts

Back