Lathe drill spindle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
After seeing Ramons drool worthy attachment on his lathe for drilling I have had the grey matter engaged in how I can make one myself. I have a decent size lathe which is quite rigid so I can be a bit heavier. After some googling I found this

http://ixian.ca/gallery/drillpress/drillpress.htm

Just need to find a suitable donor machine and it is on. Can I justify buying a cheap chinese job and hacking it up? Maybe a tapping stand out of the old base and column? Slow down grey matter.

Brock

now that is a nifty idea ;D
Pete

Just checked fleabay, turns out supercheap auto has an online store. Suitable machine $99 free delivery ::) thinking hard about it. After seeing Ramons in action I don't know how I could do without one. :-\

Brock,

Please do be careful.

The cheapo drill presses have absolutely crap spindle bearings, and really do need to be replaced with much better ones if you are going to use it for the likes of milling or especially grinding. If the spindle isn't rigid enough, the wheels are liable to shatter.

You might find it cheaper to make your own good spindle up and buy a cheapish motor to run it.

John

...and get a belt guard on it.....that thing would be a thumb eater!

Dave

First thing out the window would be the bearings, they are cheap and easy to replace. To buy a motor in that size with switch gear would be more than the price of the machine alone. The way I see it even used for parts it will be cheaper to buy this I will get;
1. Motor and switch gear
2. Pulleys for speed adjustments (when I built the bowl turning lathe these run about $80 each!) and a belt guard for the safety bit
3. Spindle assembly with rack which hopefully after replacing bearings should be sturdyand accurate enough, may need to make some better bushing for the spindle to go up and down in.
4. Still keep thinking of a tapping stand out of the base and column.

I have a bridgeport clone so I am not planning on doing any milling with it. Strictly for drilling. The last chinese bench mounted drill press I bought had lots of deflection when drilling, after looking into it I found the column was polished exhaust pipe :big:. You do get what you pay for but it is justified when you are going to cut it up straight out of the box. I have just purchased one so at least we will find out how crap it is. You never know it may be fantastic :big: Her indoors bought a polisher the same brand for her car and the head snapped off after about 5 minutes and the shaft ended up coming through the pad and doing a bit more than polishing. I will keep you informed.

Brock

Latest posts

Back