Lady Stephaine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Jo

Reaction score
Having started Lady Stephaine in 1995 late last year I finally picked her up again and at the beginning of this October finally finished her. :

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

For those of you who maybe thinking about building this engine a couple of items to think about:

1, The columns are good fun they are both tapered and fluted (actually they should be slightly barrelled but it would not show in this size). Which means it is necessary to cut them on a dividing head set up with an appropriate offset to get the grooves correct. Here is a shot of me machining the columns:

columns.jpg

This photo shows the column fluting better:

Stephineframe.jpg

2, Much of this engine is very small, this is the first engine that I have found the need to frequently use tweezers to hold parts and magnifiers to see them. I ended up making something like 60 12BA hex head bolts on my hobbymat lathe under a magnifier to save my eyes.

3, The engine also makes use of 1/16" BMS which, at least in the UK, is no longer available.

The size of the engine is nice because unlike so many other beam engines it is small enough to sit on your desk.

Jo

Nice one Jo! I've long been an admirer of the Lady Stephanie, ever since it was first published, in fact. Perhaps one day!

:bow: :bow: That is a stunning model Jo - Very very well done indeed :bow: :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

That's Exquisite Jo! :bow:

Very well done!

Dave

Nice work Jo

I like those fluted colums, I always admire the artistry they got into some of those engines.

Tubal Kain did some nice engines, my first engine was his beam engine Mary.

Stew

Excellent work on that engine Jo!!! :bow:

Would love to see some more like a video!!! ;D
And also the shop you build your wonderful engines in!

Those columns are amazing!!

Andrew

Hi Stew,

My Mary is currently being painted, as I go I am also replacing some of the original parts and finally getting around to make the governor: which I had forgotten about until I found the castings hiding in the cupboard when I was looking to decide what to do after lady S, which of course then led on to me feeling that she really ought to be painted.

The plan is to have her back together and running before Xmas so that I can move on to something else as a Xmas treat ;D.

Jo

An exquisite model to say the least. The lines of a Victorian beam engine have to be one of the nicest engines and you have done a super job on this one.
gbritnell

Very nice work Jo and very nicely finished too. The Mary will make a great accompaniment.

I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one with projects languishing since the nineties ;)

Regards - Ramon

Not only an engine bu a work of art. Great job barely describes it!

B-O-I-N-G!!! :eek: Marvelous looking engine, well done Jo.

BC1
Jim

Dr Jo said:
2, Much of this engine is very small, this is the first engine that I have found the need to frequently use tweezers to hold parts and magnifiers to see them. I ended up making something like 60 12BA hex head bolts on my hobbymat lathe under a magnifier to save my eyes.

I'm not sure if this is worthy of admiration at your dedication or derission at being a stubborn old coot. ;D It just does not sound like much fun to me. I'd have scaled up the whole thing, or (more likely) never have attempted it.

Very nice looking model. Looks museum quality to me.

Absolutely Stunning, such nice clean lines and architecturally pleasing. You did a great job on this.

John

Latest posts

Back