LaBlond Regel Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalem9

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my lathe is a taper attachment ,I can not figure out how to use it. Could use some help .Thanks in advance. Dale

10-22-11 011.JPG

10-22-11 012.JPG

Well for one thing the clamp bolt is missing for the TA slide block.

I would also want ot know if it's a true telescopic attachment or do you need to disconnect the leadscrew nut first.

If I were you I would go on line and find a manual for the machine,,,,,then come on back and I think we can talk you though it.

Dave

I have looked online alot but have not found anything, I beleive it is a telscopeit type .I have removed the big nut in the picture still will not work .I have the part that bolts to the bed too. I have taken it all apart to see how it works ,I think I have it figure out but no go.Thanks Dale

In the lower picture their is a stud that has to be fixed to the slide . Would you have to loosing the wedge in the cross slide .Thanks Dale

OK

with the lathe OFF! This is important!

lock the TA bed on the bed, and re-install the clamp bolt/handle and tighten it.

Set the TA slide to a signifcant angle....like 15 degrees or something large like that

With the carriage hand wheel, move the saddle back and forth about 3-4 inches.

Does the cross slide move in an out following the TA?.....or does it lock up completely and not move?

Let me know

Dave

In the middle of the second picture is a round boss in the middle of the slotted bar. There should be a bolt or lever/bolt that will lock the slotted bar to the carriage located directly underneath it.

Dave

The dovetail slide that the carriage is mounted to is the taper attachment slide. That slide gets set to the angle required, and the saddle moves along the bed with respect to it...moving the cross slide as it goes.

Dave

OK....it's bound up or the gib is too tight....you will need to correct that first....start by cleaning the dovetail, and then loosen the TA carriage gib.

That should free it up enough to move. There is a non swiveling dovetail below the one that swivels. You should take some time to clean that one too before you get to far afield here....it's probably dirty and in need of lubrication.

Dave

If everything free's up, and the cross slide still won't slide with the TA, then there are two things to check

A It's not a true telescopic leadscrew, and the leadscrew nut needs to be disconnected from the cross slide carriage to use the TA

or

B The telescopic leadscrew is also bound up and needs to be cleaned/lubricated....ect.

When you had it apart, were you able to move the rear portion of the cross slide leadscrew axially with respect to the apron?

Dave

never mind you answered that ;D

And Everything else is moving OK?

I'll try to find a cross sectional picture so we're all on the same page here.

Dave

OK here's a picture

taperattachment.jpg

The clamp in the far upper right hand corner is the bed clamp. That needs to be locked down to the lathe bed to use the TA.

the clamp in the slotted link also needs to be locked down.

The lower dovetail slide, which is attached to the bed clamp in my first sentence, always slides parallel to the lathe bed when the TA is locked down to the lathe bed and in use.

The upper dovetail and carraige block on the TA is the slide that is set to the appropriate angle for the part at hand.

the saddle cross slide can do this because the leadscrew is splined together so that it rotates as one unit, but is free to slide axially when required.

Hope that helps

Dave

My guess is that the jibbs are set to tight ,I just found a navy manual and I am doing things right .Will try what I have learned tomorrow will let you know .Thank you very much for helping me Dale

Latest posts

Back