Knee Mill??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConductorX

Reaction score
I don't own any machine tools yet. I did work in a CNC machine shop as an electrican and mechanic. While reading through recommendations and signatures I see people mentioning Round Column Mill, Square Column Mill, Dovetail Mill and Knee Mill.

What is the difference? Can someone post photo examples? What would be the best choice for novice hobbyist?

"G"

Perfect I appreciate the response. I have seen all three but they had different names.

"G"

You're welcome. If you have any specific questions ask away, if I don't know the answer someone on here will!

Vic.

If you can afford it and have the space, a knee mill is generally considered more useful than the others, but in the end, what ultimately matters is the amount of Z axis space the machine has. Since you've worked with mills before, I am sure you understand this, but it is a common issue with new guys to the hobby.

When you add up the height of a mill vise, a part to be machined, a drill or reamer, and a drill chuck, it rapidly consumes Z, and a lot of smaller mills choke on it. There are often workarounds, but it is nice to have it there to begin with.

Also, most round columned mills have a nasty habit of losing X and Y when the height of the head is adjusted. For this reason, in a bench mill, a square (dovetailed) column generally works best.

Good luck! :D

Back