Just wanted to say Hi

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edan

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, hope this is OK.

I joined a while back and am just now posting for the first time. I have learned a great deal from this forum and I look forward to visiting every day.

Recovering from a long illness I now have a little time on my hands and am starting to work on some of my projects. Due to my health, I am unable to work in my shop as much as I want, so I spend a lot of time thinking up projects. I like to design engines/projects that are somewhat unique.

I am currently working on a 5 cylinder radial. This will be a compressed air prototype. When I get the bugs worked out, I plan on making this into a steam engine with an adjustable timing plate for the intake.

The CAD rendering is of a working model of a 1937 Norton motorcycle. I started this project in 1991. I have transferred the drawings from hand drawn, to CADKEY, to AutoCad, to SoildWorks, and now Alibre over the years. I think I am finally going to get started on this when I finish the prototype 5 cylinder radial. For reference the engine for the Norton is 7.247 inches tall. I have tried to make the outside look like the original, but I have had to make certain changes due to my machining capabilities. It will have a dry clutch and very primitive 4 speed transmission. Oil will be fed to the top end and drain down the pushrod tubes. It’s not really meant to be a “runner”. I just want to be able to start it up and have the ability to shift it into gear. Brakes and front suspension will work also.

The one thing that I have not done is to cast rubber parts. So far, my research has shown that while it is possible, I should expect a lot of failures in the beginning. If anyone has cast any rubber parts I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thank you,

Norton.JPG

Norton.JPG

Welcome to the forum edan!
I hope your health improves quickly and you can spend more time in the shop.
I'll be interested in learning about rubber casting in addition to seeing your projects.

Hi Edan,

Welcome to the forum.

Chuck

Welcome to the forum! That Norton looks like a fun project.

I've cast some urethane parts, and some silicone parts. I'll second the recommendation that Tony made, that is a great little book.

edan,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back