Jan ridder's Bas resize?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not built that one but have built another of his plans and working on a second one that has glass cylinders. The hardest part I had was finding the glass.
I would suggest you purchase it before starting the build.
The problem is the consistence of the ID. There is no need for test tubes to be perfectly round and without any tapper on the inside.
The only cylinder shaped glass that seems to have high tolerance for inside dimensions are glass syringes.
There is a company called Airpot Corp. that does sell pre-made glass cylinders with graphite pistons that you might want to check out. http://www.airpot.com/
As far as converting to fractional sizes spend some time studying the drawings and determine what parts can be made from common fractional size stock and would not effect the operation of the engine. This will save you time and wasted material when it's time to start making chips..

Last edited:
Why not just use it as practise to work in metric? It's a lovely engine to build ;d

Thanks portlandron I have thought about using airpot, do they sell in small quantities? Also before I begin it will be drawn 3d to make sure everything works out.

dclark, I have thought about that but my tools are limited and I would rather stock up on English sizes rather than metric at this point. It will also challenge my skills to convert the drawing.

Latest posts

Back