jacobs drill chuck and the Wright Brothers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Don Huseman

I was at the Wright shop in Dearborn a few years back and saw a Jacobs chuck in their drill press. All the equipment was suposed to be the original equipment. Jacobs had started his company in 1902. That was the year that the wright brothers started to build their 1903 flyer. I find it hard to believe that Mr Jacobs sold a jacobs chuck the first year to the wright brothers. I was given a Standard drill chuck that I think that the Wright Brothers bought when they bought their drill press. I did find out that Mr. Jacobs was a bicycle spoke and chain saleman befor he started the Jacobs chuck company.
I am getting a copy of the invoice from the Paterson Machine company that sold the drill press to the Wright's in 1901. If there was a Standard chuck on the invoice that would settle the matter. I thought that would be the end of the story but in light of the bicycle propensities of Mr Jacobs I am not so sure. If any one has any ideas about how to further investigate this then please e-mail me.
Don

Latest posts

Back