Keyless drill chucks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWRdriver

Reaction score
I need to replace the chuck on the Rockwell drill press I'm rebuilding (to be posted as a thread . . . someday) and I'm considering using a keyless drill chuck rather than a typical Jacobs keyed type. I've used keyless chucks on my lathes for years but these were bought a long time ago, including an Albrecht keyless on my lathe. Now that's a fine piece of work, but frankly it was 3-4X the cost of a comparable clone and in a home workshop environment I won't realize four times the perfomance and value from it so a good import will do. The spec will be 33JT taper mount, 0"-1/2" capacity.

What I'd like to ask is first, how have you found the quality of no-name import keyless chucks you've bought recently, who's got a good one, and what are your experiences using a keyless chuck on a drill press?

MB,
Thanks. That's exactly the kind of information and commentary I was looking for and it was indeed very helpful. It was particularly interesting that IIRC the SPI chuck had spanner holes in case of a lockup. Very handy that. Anyone with any further experiences please feel free to post those.

This is just MY 'Rookie' machining talk, because I am new to machining, I prefer the 'key' type chuck because I have a lot of years of experience doing cabinet making and tin-bashing in the HVAC Industry, I have used Cordless Drills with 'keyless' chucks and have a few "Indian Skin Burns".

What I am trying to say is, where I used to be fearless grabbing a moving drill chick in my cordless drill, I know for a fact if I use a 'keyed' chuck in my Mill or Lathe I will never have the brain *art moment of reaching out and grabbing the chuck to "Tighten it up a smidge" whilst under power.

This has been a free safty message to any other machining rookies like me coming from a cordless tool background. :)

Chazz

I have two that I bought from CDCO, both JT33, a 0- 3/8" on the mini lathe and a 1/32-1/2" on the X3 , both work well, I've used 1/16" drill bits on the mill, it's dead on.

Jim

I second jim216's comments. I too have purchased a precision keyless chuck from CDCO and been very pleased with the quality and being dead on.

HI i will post a pic but the one I have came off a B&D drill it came fitted on a new hammer drill its brill for holding the drill bit in normal mode but as soon as you put it in to hammer it wood become loos and the drill bit just kept falling out so i replast it with a key type then got a MT2 arbour to fit it and its gnaw yous ed on the lathe sos for my speling regards bob ;D

I changed over completely to keyless a couple of years ago, and have a dozen or so spread about the shop.

Apart from the time a cheapo built one burst apart because of the tendency to tighten up when heavy cutting, the rest have been spot on and no bother.

I purchased all the larger ones from RDG and the tiny Albrecht clones from Chronos.

Sorry, I still do have a keyed one, that is a tiny Jacobs one on my tapping stand, but because it has a threaded fitting, it is just too much trouble to change it over. Maybe one day.

I would suggest you invest in a fabric strap wrench or something that grips without damaging. Because unlike keyed chucks, which slacken off, keyless ones actually tighten up the more pressure you put on them.

Bogs

HI yep I have one of them straps ? your taping stand is the thread external if so do you no the pitch of the thread bob

the resin i ask is i have a draw full of small jacobs chucks they came from air tools if the thread is the same i will send you one if you want regards bob

Bob,

I think it is 3/8" something or other internal. I cut the thread on the main spindle many years ago using my old lathe.

I also have a couple more of the tiny Jacobs keyed chucks knocking about, and they use a standard JT taper, #1 I think.

I don't have a problem with chucks, just that I can't be a**ed at this time to cut a taper on the spindle to mount a keyless one.

Thanks for the offer anyway.

John

GWRdriver said:
I need to replace the chuck on the Rockwell drill press The spec will be 33JT taper mount, 0"-1/2" capacity.

What I'd like to ask is first, how have you found the quality of no-name import keyless chucks you've bought recently, who's got a good one, and what are your experiences using a keyless chuck on a drill press?

GWRdriver. Here is another option. The phase II products are very good quality at a very resonable price. I would consider buying one if I had a need for a 1/2" keyless chuck. If you click on the item # the Web price is $35 for either the 6jt & 33jt in 1/2' capacity!

Travers tool link:

http://www.travers.com/skulist.asp?RequestData=CA_Search&navPath=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch1%3Dchucks+keyless&q=block+id+115361+and+class+level3+id+28987&minPrice=$34.99

-MB

MB (and others),
I appreciate the information and suggestions, it has been very helpful. I found an SPI chuck of the size and taper I needed in stock at PennTool Co and have it on order. This one of those situations where I would like to have been able to order a larger group of them and do a Consumer Reports type Most-Bang-fer-yer-Buck test.

Back