I've begun... (my first walking beam stirling)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkedout

Reaction score
Here's my game plan.

Before going for anything on a mill. I'm going to start teaching myself some of the basics of how these things run and mixing up the configurations for the halibut. I would LOVE to be able to own a shop with the necessary mills/lathes/flux-capacitors you all have. I just don't have those yet. I really hope I'm going to be able to get to the level of artisan-ship that you people have demonstrated someday. For now though, I have to be satisfied with getting SOMETHING that will run after applying a much less technical-savvy assembly.

OK, so I've taught myself a little bit (stress LITTLE BIT) of CAD drafting using the emachineshop application (and their tutorial videos). Actually I got through the first video and decided that I'm a self-satisfied "KNOW IT ALL" and proceed from there. :)

I've drawn a flywheel, rocker arm and towers to hold both.

I work in an industry where I have vendors that do my bidding while I sit on a comfy chair, and practice my evil laugh and pet my fluffy cat. ..... Not really, but I have a vendor that will cut these parts out of 1/2" acrylic for me. Probably for free.

As for the linkages, piston, cylinders, etc: I'm hardware-store sourcing some of the other parts.
I'll share my parts list and stuff with you as I progress.

I've procured stainless steel linkage material, 6063 aluminum for the displacement and pressure cylinders, and I'm starting to pile up the pieces on my kitchen table. (I won't show pictures of my wife's angry face just yet).

My cousin runs an aluminum anodizing shop and will help me with some of the aesthetic nature of the 6063 pieces.

So far, I have no pictures to share, but I will share as this build progresses.

Wish me luck folks. I would, of course, welcome input from some of the seasoned veterans around here as this progresses.

Or, if you think I should just hang up my 3 tools and go buy a kit. Let me know that too. :)

Thanks for reading.

We all learn in our own way, at our own pace. You will require some inate mechanical aptitude, but even moreso, perseverance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained----Have at it!!!---Brian

The secret to being a good machinist is having a good wife.
It's amazing how very true and wise that phrase is.

In fact, I think that's right up there with bumper-sticker wisdom.
:D :D :D

I'm pretty sure I'm married to the best woman on the planet, (I might be biased).
Some day, we'll move out of my tiny condo and into our home with a garage and shop-space.

Then I'm sure I'll post how I removed a finger with my first lathe accident.

Stay tuned. :)

Check out a Taig lathe or mill, or a Sherline. I own Sherlines. They are very small and light, and can be tuned to watchmaker accuracy. See Dean's projects, many are done on Taigs.

I was micro machining for a year and a half in our cozy 2 bedroom 600 sqft apartment before we moved to a place with a garage.

I second the wife wisdom. I take her whenever I go for power tool shopping -- if she does not like the looks of a tool, we do not get it. :shrug:

And you know how we choose, based on color and cuteness! :Doh:

take care,

tom in MA

OH
MY
GOSH!

Sherline CNC mills are around $3000!!

My wife is cool, but that's gonna be a tough sell. :)

EDIT: OOPS. I was looking at the wrong page.
600 bucks for a lathe is a little easier to swallow. :)
I'll need to save my pennies.

Believe it or not, this project hasn't died.

My son is showing interest in learning right along with me.

We've put together the rocker arm tower, and flywheel assembly.

Stainless steel tie rods are cut to size, mostly.
6061 aluminum tubing cut and ready to braze together.
I've made the power piston out of bondo.
(again this is a proof of concept, I think)

Fingers crossed. Pictures forthcoming.

Checkedout.

You are going thought the same thing most of us have. Limited space limited money wanting to start but not sure how or where.
The Sherline, and Taig lines are Made in USA and great little machines. I chose the Sieg route. Lathe from grizzly mill from Micromark.
the great plus with taig and sherline is they are portable table top machines. you can build a mini shop in a box well boxes,a box for the mill with places for tooling a box for the lathe again with tooling and a third tool box for tools works in progress a bit of stock etc.
The seig are more or less potable as well. IIRC my lathe is 85 lbs so I can easily move it from bench to bench or table. the mill is about 140 so a little less portable I avoid setting it on the floor. If really need to move it a distance there is a Jesus nut on the back that can be easily removed and move the mill in two pieces and tram upon assembly.
A suggestion ,shop around for a kitchen cart. If you get one with a shelf a drawer and a cabinet you should be golden the mill on top the lathe on the shelf when not in use and the drawer and cabinet for storage. something that looks like this.
0900631b81b18c49T.jpg

Would likely work for Taig or Sherline another option is a roll around tool box for a mill or lathe. If you go with seig two carts or a cart and a roll around box. . roll into a corner or closet when not in use.
As far as a first project I have a couple suggestions here.
Some sort of plan for an engine is also essential some of my favorite starters are
http://littlemachineshop.com/Products/Drawings/2593OscillatingEngineAssembly.pdf
http://npmccabe.tripod.com/mccaberunner.htm
More plan sets here:
http://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm and many more http://www.john-tom.com/html/Engines.html

Please start simple then go for your own designs.
tin
Please use caution make sure any cart selected will hold the weight of the machine you put on it and make sure it is not top heavy ,unstable or dangerous to women children or small domestic animals.

AWESOME input Tin! Thanks!
I appreciate folks on this board. I signed in, lurked while watching some amazing builds and got a feel for the culture.
You guys have really developed and clearly maintain a nice atmosphere here. I like that.
I'm an unrepentant nerd, I frequent a lot of tech sites and I tend to gravitate toward forums where the culture is really fostered and moderated well.
This is a pretty great thing you guys have here. Believe me.

In my earlier years, I've done finish carpentry work (custom floors, millwork, fireplace mantles)... so building a solid cart is a great idea, and one I can likely handle. :) Woodwork doesn't intimidate me. :)

I'm trying to raise the capital to buy my first piece of equipment. I'm thinking a mill would likely be the most immediately utilitarian for me.
It's hard to say though. I don't have much experience with either (I've used a wood lathe, and a low-tech mill at my old company)
I could likely make some cuts and shapes with the mill that I couldn't immediately make with a lathe. I don't know for sure though.

If you were looking to make your first mini-mill or mini-lathe purchase, which would you make?

OK... I know you'll probably all laugh at my horrific drawing.
Don't worry, this is just a "Paint" sketch I threw together in 2 minutes to give you the idea of what this little baby will hopefully look like.

:)

So you have an idea of what I'm up against.
None of this involves any milling / lathe-work / etc...
I don't even have a drill press (remember, I used to be a woodworker).

So, without those pieces, I'm trying to make this:
bestschematicever.jpg

or: http://oi55.tinypic.com/2e6544g.jpg

crab said:
... a drill press would make it much easier.You might look at this one in Vancouver if thay still have it... http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/2542354597.html And this mini lathe for 350... http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/2546853404.html Crab
Hey crab. Thank you for your help! Those look like wonderful finds.
I may pick up the drill press today if possible. I actually have $30 bucks on me. :)
If I can talk the guy down a bit on the lathe, maybe that will work out too. I did a side job (woodworking) for a friend and

Side Note: I'm waffling on whether or not I want to sell my pantograph. It is a neat piece of old equipment. For some reason, engraving seems to be a lower hurdle to clear than running a full mill and/or lathe. Maybe I'll get that bad boy up and running and offer to do free engraving for folks first, while learning the ropes on engine building. I can see this being a great hobby for a long time, and I don't mind paying my dues while learning. :)

So, I've sent the email on the drillpress to see if it's still available. I'm seriously considering that lathe as well.

I don't know the first thing about lathes though. What do I look for in regard to functionality?
If there's a broken (this), or a cracked (that), or a mis-aligned (what'sit), I probably wouldn't know it.

Based on this page, it's a Cummins 7x12 lathe #5278 from 'toolsnow.com', although it doesn't appear toolsnow stocks it anymore.

I'm willing to learn a $30 lesson, but a $350 lesson is a little outside my price range. :)

I emailed the guy about the lathe. He said it was still available.
I replied with questions about it... stuff like "still working, still have the parts, etc..."

He replied with "SOLD" :D

I'm guessing he either didn't want to deal with me (if the thing was trashed), or it actually sold.

Meh... either way, no big whoop.
More fish in the sea.

Bad luck on the lathe, but it sounds as though it might have been an old knacker anyway, as you say plenty more fish in the sea.

I am also on my first build, and have learned a great deal just looking as some of the mind blowing builds taking place on this site, and am in total agreement about the atmosphere that exists here, it's so laid back and relaxed.
I wish you luck in your quest for the tools, I have been collecting them for about 40 years, a toolaholic you may say. The only advice I would offer is to be patient and buy it once.

Cheers Les

Lesmo said:
Bad luck on the lathe, but it sounds as though it might have been an old knacker anyway, as you say plenty more fish in the sea.

I am also on my first build, and have learned a great deal just looking as some of the mind blowing builds taking place on this site, and am in total agreement about the atmosphere that exists here, it's so laid back and relaxed.
I wish you luck in your quest for the tools, I have been collecting them for about 40 years, a toolaholic you may say. The only advice I would offer is to be patient and buy it once.

Cheers Les
That's great advice Les. Thanks!
I can tend to get caught up in a feature creep nighmare if I'm not careful. :)

Back