It's never easy!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loose nut

Reaction score
Some time ago I bought one of those 4 x 6 angle tables that are everywhere now and they are OK but have one annoying problem, when the table is tilted over near 45 deg. it is almost impossible to tighten down the bolts that hold the table angle without interfering with the bolts that hold it to the table.

Not a problem, I would make a new bottom for it to make mounting easier.

First I cut a piece of 1/2" steel plate, drill two mounting holes and layout and drill and countersink 4 clearance holes to bolt it to the angle table.

Second I drilled and taped four 1/4" holes, on the angle table bottom, to match the clearance holes on the plate.

Problem, on the last hole I picked up the clearance drill for the plate instead of the tap drill, hole to big.

Not a problem, it happen to be the right size for a 5/16 tap, one odd hole won't matter

Problem I didn't have any 5/16" countersunk machine screws around and the town I live in is small, 3000 people, with only a couple of places to get bolts. They didn't have any.

Not a problem, I have a lathe. I'll make one.

Problem, after machining the screw to shape I set about threading it and found out that If you reverse the lathe to fast, I leave the lead screw engaged and reverse the lathe to run it back to do the next pass, It doesn't reverse but just turns on and runs your nice new carbide threading bit into the work ruining both.

Not a problem, I have a lathe, I just put in a HSS threading tool after machining a new screw to shape.

Problem, did the same thing again

Not a problem, I have a lathe.........

Some days go like that. When I have one I just walk away. It seems like you can get by with one error but when two happen something gets unhooked in the brain and no matter how hard you try things just don't go right from that point on.
gbritnell

Been there. Done that. Got the "T" shirt. :big: :big: :big: :big:

Ron

Some days you get the bear.
Some days the bear gets you...

Of course it has never happened to ME!
Those scars on my butt are from shaving accidents!
:hDe:

OK, so I also also have the T Shirt, logo hat AND
tattoo on my forehead!
Rof}

Rick

Hello,

Those days here are called "what was I thinking".... or not thinking...

Best Wishes

Chuck M

Yup!, had quite a few of those! ,best thing to do is ,when the SECOND one goes wrong, just go back to bed and forget it until tomorrow!

Giles

Sounds like my normal routine. ;D I just assume it will happen...

Rudy

Back