Is there anybody on here who can help produce some castings?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan2525

Reaction score
Over at the Mamod Forum (www.mamodforums.co.uk) I've been involved in a group build loco project, at present the project is in the design phase, prototyping some components and testing stages.

The loco is 16mm scale and will require a custom smokebox casting and a small number of lost wax castings, some parts will be sourced from commercial supplies but the project would really benefit from having a model engineer onboard with access to a home foundry for producing good quality castings from supplied patterns.

Is there anyone here who would be interested in this project? At present there are a dozen or so members who would be interested in the project, batches of castings would be small, maybe batches of ten for a reasonable fee?

Apologies for this being an "I want post"! :bow:

Welcome, Mamodifier! ;D

I sure wish I had that foundry set up. I'd really like to help. :-\

RobWilson said:
Hi Alan

i could be interested

Regards Rob

Rob,

Did you produce the flywheel castings for Tony Muir's traction engine on the mamodforums?

At present I'm just trying to get an idea of the cost of the parts and get some idea if it would be possible to have these castings made.

Can I email you some drawings of the parts I'm thinking about having cast to get an idea of the price? Some feedback regarding draught angles etc would be a big help. Parts I'd need are two domes, a smokebox casting, smokebox door and chimney saddle. If casting facilities allow, these could possibly be combined into a one piece casting too?

Alan

Hi Alan

Yep that would be me ,guilty ;D
Yes i will take a look for you ,i will PM you my Email

Regards Rob

Hi Alan
i have just found Tony's post , pleased he only got my feet in the video , :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

Regards Rob

Well hopefully by the end of this coming weekend I will have finally machined up and fitted those wheels you made for my roller.
I machined the centre hub tru last weekend and just finished painting them yesterday.
By the weekend the paint should be hard enough for me to finish machining them up.
Then I just need to fit the friction drive.
I was going to wait until I had finished the wheels before mentioning anything but since you were talking about it I decided to give you a heads up.

I've also nearly finished xchainsaws brass casting for the large pulley too.
The full running diary is on the other forum but once done I will post an abridged one here.

Latest posts

Back