Is nothing sacred any more?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Yesterday, I decided to do a bit of precision machining, so after a lot of very careful measuring, a bit of material selection, I came up with this. Accurate to +/- 0.000"

brace1.jpg

Actually it is called a fork brace and is supposed to make my nearly 20 year old bike handle like a young 'un.

brace2.jpg

Oops!!! Seems like I could have bought one.

http://www.pricedright.co.uk/view-item.cfm?stockid=635

Ah! Well, with all the cash I have saved, I can now afford to invest in a few more felt tips.

Bogs

this way its more sentimental to ya. you can hold bragging rights to it to.
looks very nice

Sid,

The only trouble is that it is covered up with big blingy bits, so it will never be seen again.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
Yesterday, I decided to do a bit of precision machining, so after a lot of very careful measuring, a bit of material selection, I came up with this. Accurate to +/- 0.000"

The store-bought one is only +/- .002". Obviously yours is the superior piece.

Best regards,

Kludge

Hi Bogs

I doubt you would have been happy with the mass produced "quality" item. Also £70.00 wow that is a lot of coffee and fag vouchers.

All the best

Malcolm

Kludge,

I guess you realised it was a bit of sarcasm on my part.

I hate it when vendors try to BS their way to a sale.

I would also take their fitting time with a pinch of salt. If you have all the bling fitted, it will take ten minutes just to get to where you start to fit it.

I also would have liked to put new SS bolts in the brace, but it just so happens that they are the first 7mm screws I have ever handled, so the old ones go back in the holes.

Malcolm,

You are perfectly correct.

It took me a few hours of my time and a bit of stock, but the most important part was that I learned how to use the new machine a bit more. Every little exercise helps.

Bogs

Shock, horror!
bogs, I reckon you could build a girder front end for a vinnie at half the price.
:eek:

He probably could if he could find the tapered tubing anymore.

"He probably could if he could find the tapered tubing anymore."

just taper it with a 1mm cut off wheel weld and file :D

Bogstandard said:
I guess you realised it was a bit of sarcasm on my part.

Huh? You? Sarcastic? Never happen! ;D

I hate it when vendors try to BS their way to a sale.

During the height of the Cold War, a story went around about a race between a Soviet made car and a US made one. The US made one won but the Russian newspapers wrote that the Russian car came in second while the American one came in next to last. I doubt any such race took place but the point is more of how the news article was written.

It's the same in advertising. And it's all BS.

I also would have liked to put new SS bolts in the brace, but it just so happens that they are the first 7mm screws I have ever handled, so the old ones go back in the holes.

It will happen. Not today but it will happen.

It took me a few hours of my time and a bit of stock, but the most important part was that I learned how to use the new machine a bit more. Every little exercise helps.

Another point. But add to it the one about going out for store-bought being absolutely no fun at all. In fact, some people would consider it cheating.

Best regards,

Kludge

Back