is it the best scale v8 model engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a deeply flawed $1,700 desktop toy noisemaker. Warped Perception got his hands on one too and did his video; his unit overheated on the table spinning nothing but its own flywheel and couldn't rev anywhere close to the claims in the pre-release marketing. His also had a nasty habit of flaming out at idle a lot, something Johnny's doesn't do. I suspect Johnny left the glow heat engaged at all times to keep his going. WP also tried to get his to rev better by playing with the exhaust, first cutting the mufflers off and then running it without any manifolds at all; the pipework is TINY and so are the ports in the heads.

This thing can't breathe very well, it can't cool itself, it doesn't perform all that well....I'm honestly not all that impressed. I had ideations of shoving one into a Rovan Baja alongside a 3-speed trans and having the most badass sounding 1/5th buggy at the bash pit, but after seeing WP's video on the thing I'm not sure I want to bother. If I had a much better paying job and a lathe/mill on hand I might be willing to try to improve the thing...the bones of a good engine are there I think...but as it sits it's just a very expensive way to turn very expensive fuel into very expensive noise.

Latest posts

Back