Inverted Hit n Miss Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Some of you may remember this engine.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR8q_vDgXD0[/ame]

I originally built it to run on compressed air, and while it runs really good, it's kind of boring, so I decided to convert it to run on fuel. I've been working on it off and on for some months, and am finally getting pretty close to having it running. I finished up the valves and got a good seal after some fiddling around. I also ordered a CDI ignition module with coil from cncengines.com. This will be my first venture with a hall effect instead of points so that might be interesting. Here's some pictures of the engine as of today.

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

I'm still working on the design for my Bessemer but haven't actually done any work on it for awhile.

Chuck

I think I am following on another forum but I will follow here as well anyway so I don't miss anything.

Jim

Chuck---I wondered what had become of you. I keep watching for more stuff on the Bessemer thread. Glad you are okay and still working on neat stuff.---Brian

Thanks, Jim, Brian.

A number of things have been going on. I had the kids and grand kids living with us for all of December and part of January. I was also sick for a few weeks. Not confined to a bed sick, but feeling puny enough I couldn't get excited about the shop. Then I got distracted designing and building some slingshots for a couple of weeks. I seem to be over that phase so hopefully I'll get this Inverted Hit n Miss running, then get back to the Bessemer.

Chuck

PS... The wife's car is giving us a few problems so I will likely be spending some time getting that fixed back up. Sure wish I could find a knowledgeable and trustworthy mechanic!

Chuck: Is the Inverted Hit n Miss on compressed air your design or are plans available somewhere. I'm new to this hobby and have built three steam engines. Just started a Stirling. Want to do a hit n miss but need to develop a few more machining skills. A compressed air engine would be just the ticket. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Roger

Hi Roger,

The inverted engine is my own design and unfortunately, I don't have any plans drawn up.

Chuck

HI:),
Very Nice Chuck, the Engine looks reallly good. Out of interest when it is running on Compressed Air is it a constant flow of Air ???.
All The Best Stew

HI:),
Very Nice Chuck, the Engine looks reallly good. Out of interest when it is running on Compressed Air is it a constant flow of Air ???.
All The Best Stew

Yes, the air supply is 100 - 120 PSI with no flow restriction other than the valve in the engine. It uses a Quick Exhaust Valve or Dump Valve. The valve is simply a length of 1/4" rod that extends a small amount past an o-ring. When closed, the valve completely seals off the compressed air supply. The cam (and governor) hold the valve closed while the engine is coasting. When the engine "fires", the cam (and governor) allows the inlet air pressure to blow the valve up past the o-ring exposing the inlet to the cylinder. I think there is a drawing somewhere down further in the original thread.

Chuck

Chuck

Not quite back to running yet, but far enough along for some teaser photos...

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

In addition to the paint, I made a few more improvements. I cut cooling fins into the cylinder, more for looks than function. I also decided to install keys in the crank disk and the flywheel - the setscrews were beginning to tear out. Still have to install the ignition system and the fuel tank.

Chuck

Looking good Chuck. Nice color choice, looks just right

Latest posts

Back