Inline 4 cylinder 2 stroke

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried starting the motor again last night with no success. I found that the intake port was opening just before the exhaust port so I beveled the exhaust side of the piston to fix it, I only did it on 2 pistons to try it first. It did sound more promising until I discovered that the intake manifold halves were leaking... The salastic I used had been eaten away by the fuel.

So tonights plans are to finish off the pistons and cut out a gasket on my CNC mill (the shape is to hard to do it by hand..... Quickly) hopefully I can get it running or close to.

Reactions: gus
Had another weekend of failure! I could get a few pops every now and then but nothing sustained. I tried changing the inertia of the flywheel by adding a prop but still no luck.

I'll try again tomorrow, the main 3 things I'm thinking of are compression, leaks and the check valves. I'm not using viton rubber balls as stated in the plans, although Jan said he got his motor running on metal ball check valve. If there turns out to be a leak or check valve problem it may be easier to quickly redesign the intake manifold.

I was just looking at my measurements compared to Jan's, he's pressure chambers are 3cc, mine came out to under 2.1cc. I'm not sure if this is the full problem but it may have a contribution to the problem.

So am I Chris---I'm still researching engines and asking questions. I really want to build a two cycle engine. I just don't want to set myself up to fail.----Brian

Latest posts

Back