Inexpensive DRO from Grizzly

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some help here. I posted earlier in this thread but did not get an answer. We may not be able to get longer scales for these quickly. Could those of you who have digital scales (not the calipers) measure the scale rail and see if any of them have the following dimensions:

Scale is .160" x .784" (4mm x 20mm)

It may be worthwhile to buy both and still come out ahead for a remote readout.

black85vette said:
Need some help here. I posted earlier in this thread but did not get an answer. We may not be able to get longer scales for these quickly. Could those of you who have digital scales (not the calipers) measure the scale rail and see if any of them have the following dimensions:

Scale is .160" x .784" (4mm x 20mm)

It may be worthwhile to buy both and still come out ahead for a remote readout.
Mine mics at 4.04mmx20.01mm, though there are a couple different heights on the rail.

black85vette said:
Don't think this will work as a display for other units. The remote displays and DRO units use a serial interface coming off the display unit (brain) attached to the scale. On this unit the remote display has all the smarts and the output of the scale appears to be raw sensor reads going to the brain. Not 100% sure of this yet. Need to get up the nerve to disassemble my new unit and put the signals on an O'scope.

I am thinking in the interim, while we wait for word on the longer scales, that we ought to investigate the possibility of feeding data to the display unit from a digital caliper. There's bound to be a way to wire it up...right?

The display connector appears to be a USB mini-B connector, though I very much suspect it isn't talking USB. It supplies power as well, so if it'll run a caliper, that could be very cool.

shred said:
Mine mics at 4.04mmx20.01mm, though there are a couple different heights on the rail.

I think that may be the same size. I didn't measure all that accurately. What brand and where did it come from?

black85vette said:
I think that may be the same size. I didn't measure all that accurately. What brand and where did it come from?
It's the Grizz one.. I think I've tossed the box, but it was some sort of "happy fun router lift measure company" in a yellow box; same as the first post in the thread.

Got the second one done and working. Made some brackets out of aluminum channel cut down to make 90 degree angle pieces. Made it pretty simple. Just 3 brackets. I started by clamping everything in place and verified the fit and checked for interference. Drilled 4 holes for the scale brackets. Made the bracket to keep the sensor in place and just used the hole where the pointer was to hold it. Drilled a hole in the bracket for the lock on the front. That was about it.

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

Looking good! Will speed up operations for sure. Nice for the, measure twice, cut once saying. ;D

Looks good but you should have mounted the scale thin side up. Since the main problem with these scales is moist and debri build up there would be less surface exposed.

Noitoen said:
Looks good but you should have mounted the scale thin side up. Since the main problem with these scales is moist and debri build up there would be less surface exposed.

I tried several times to do this and could not get it to fit without hitting something. It is too tall. It either hit the vise or if lower hit the lock. I think this will need a plastic sheet over it anyway to keep swarf out of the works.

Interesting news. I have been emailing the company that produces the DigiMag and got an email today asking my opinion. He says:

"Please advice which size is popular between 10" & 12" and 30" & 32". We need add 2 size on the production line of DigiMAG ASAP and offer to all of distributors in April, 2010."

Thought I would throw this out for input from the forum. My thought would be to go 12" and 24". Don't know many desktop mills that need more than 24" of travel and the bigger / expensive mills would justify a higher cost more feature packed DRO system.

At any rate it appears the demand is there and they are going to try to respond to it. Tell me what your thoughts are.

websterz said:
I am thinking in the interim, while we wait for word on the longer scales, that we ought to investigate the possibility of feeding data to the display unit from a digital caliper. There's bound to be a way to wire it up...right?

No. I got curious about this and opened up a digital caliper and also one of the remote displays and looked at the data signals on my scope. Entirely different format. The calipers, as is well documented, sends bursts of serial data with the exact position of the scale. The new DRO gets information from its sensor that just gives "change of position" information. It just reports which direction and how much it has moved. The display unit keeps track of where the sensor is and handles the zero and abs functions.

Assuming I can cut it, 12 or 24 works for me. Don't need both.

Chuck

12-24 here too. Thanks for keeping after them on this deal Rick! :bow:

Got another email and thanks to your input he is now planning to add a 12", 24", and 32". He also confirms they can be cut down to any length without a problem.

Latest posts

Back