Inexpensive DRO from Grizzly

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to make a place for the displays. Just used some scrap angle stock and made a bracket at the top of the upright then bolted some .125" steel 3"x8" to it. Displays have magnets and just stick to it.

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

SAM in LA said:
Grizzly sent me an email saying they just received a shipment today and I should get mine early next week.

I finally received my order this afternoon, 2/2/2010.

It seems to me that Grizzly's email and phone support folks tell you whatever it takes to make you happy, even it is not the truth.

I plan on trying a couple of ideas I have to mount these on my lathe tomorrow.

SAM in LA said:
...It seems to me that Grizzly's email and phone support folks tell you whatever it takes to make you happy, even it is not the truth...

<SARCASM>Nawwwwwwwww.....surely not!!</SARCASM>

Hi All,

I have installed these scales approx the same way Blackvette did.
They are light, easy to cut and easy to mount.

There are a few points I need to mention.
There is some hysteresis, when moving the table very slowly it looks like the display is "sticking" and then releases and shows the proper numbers again.
The magnets of the display are very flimsy and are not mounted strongly, you can easily push them into the housing.
The cables are a bit of a mess unless you bundle them very carefully.
The buttons on one of my displays do not work properly. I can't switch off the power and if it managed to switch off, all I need to do is to look at it and it will switch back on.

Having said all that, I couldn't live without em.

Lykle

Lykle said:
There is some hysteresis, when moving the table very slowly it looks like the display is "sticking" and then releases and shows the proper numbers again.

The magnets of the display are very flimsy and are not mounted strongly, you can easily push them into the housing.

The buttons on one of my displays do not work properly. I can't switch off the power and if it managed to switch off, all I need to do is to look at it and it will switch back on.

Have not noticed any of the "sticking". Mine seem to track well. I will watch more closely and see if I notice anything.

Agree, the magnets are not mounted well. Just glued in from the inside.

The power off is not a big deal. The unit does not really turn off anyway. It just turns the display off. The circuitry continues to function. I think I would still contact Grizzly and get a replacement. Might as well have everything working right.

Overall I am pleased with mine. I don't expect them to function like the high dollar units and find that they do just what I wanted. I have added some swarf protection and need to get some pics posted.

Thanks for the report on cutting. I think you are the first to actually do that.

websterz said:
<SARCASM>Nawwwwwwwww.....surely not!!</SARCASM>

It irritates me when a vendor lies to you about ship dates, or anything else.

I placed my order Jan 12. On Jan 14, I was on the phone with them and the gal tells me that the warehouse manager said my order was being processed to be shipped on Jan 15. I even have an email from them saying it will ship on or around Jan 18.

I call on Jan 22 and the gal tells me that they received the DRO's and my order was being shipped.

My order was finally shipped on Jan 25.

If a vendor is out of stock, they should just tell me, don't lie.

Sorry about the rant, I'll get off my soapbox.

:wall: :redface2:

SAM

Since so much time has passed maybe few will see this but after Reading the earlier posts I ordered two 12" and one 6" from grizzly for my 2x. I would upload pictures but being new have not figured how yet. This has been a relative easy project to do. I used one 12" as Z and one for X. The 6" is the Y.

Well after over a year I finally got around to mounting my X and Y scales (did the Z almost immediately). There mounted similar to how BlackVette did his. The problem now is what to do for the X-axis table lock. The scale is pretty much in the way so I'm looking for ideas around it. The hole is not blocked but there's very little room for my fat fingers now. For now I've replaced the lever with a SHCS and use a long ball-end wrench to adjust it (pain).

Options?

1) Move the lock to the far right gib screw hole. Wondering how much this will affect the stability of the table.
2) Extend the lever to get it out from under the scale. But room is limited between the Y-axis handwheel. So...
3) Move the Y-axis handwheel out further along with 2) above.
4) I was thinking of some kind of cam or screw activated device that could be accessed from the rightside.

Any other options? What have others tried?

I used a SHCS one hole over from the centered spot. I "pointed" the end like a regular gib screw, and I use an allen wrench to lock it down. There's just enough clearance for it to be tightened over the arc of the handwheel.

(This may double post... image was too big the first time.)

100_1567.JPG

Moving over one or two holes would definitely help and I may try that just to gain a little easier access.

Daydreaming at work today I came up with this idea (drawn in psuedo-crap-o-cad).

The yellow bit is just a free-floating piece of brass rod that would go through the current lever-lock hole and press on the gib. The rest is just some brackets and pivots and levers to apply pressure to the brass rod.

Someone build it, document dimensions, and post up how it works :)

COCGibLock.jpg

Hi all. I went straight to the Grizzly web site and filled out the order for 2 DRO's. (a real bargain as in Australia they are $89.00 ea) When I proceeded to check out I noticed that to ship outside the U.S. a $200.00 min. order applies. Could anyone suggest a way around this little problem ?
Tia
Herbie

1) save up your $ and order $200 + worth of stuff you need .
2) Buy $ 200 + worth of dros and offer the ones you do not need on e-bay or whatever.
3) find other folks in your area and combine an order to meet the minimum.
4) See if one of the guys here preferably one that lives near a grizzly is willing to act as an agent. buy them for you and ship them to you . if you do pay pal that could make things relatively simple.
5) come visit the USA and visit the grizzly show room and buy them .
Tin

Thanks tin. Option 5 is the go. Just got to convince the leader of the opposition she needs a holiday ;D

I am new to this site but I added a post to this forum earlier today. Did it get lost or was it deleted? If it was deleted please send me a P.M. so I don't re-post it again.

Thanks
Bill

Latest posts

Back