Grizzly $25 DRO Query

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trout,

Just to remind you, my shop was set up to do production work, and I had outside help to do just that, hence I could afford to splash out a little (even a lot in some cases).
Because I was in a position where I could pay cash for everything, I was getting a discount of around 20% on almost everything, on other things, a darned sight more. When you have around 15K bucks at your instant disposal, salesmen will do anything to get that cash off you. You just wouldn't believe what I got my fully power fed with DRO's mill for.

Now it isn't for production because of my own health limitations, but I have been fortunately left with a shop to almost die for.

I am just upgrading a few of my old basic bits to bring them up to the spec of the rest of the shop, and maybe someone else will benefit when I get rid of the old replaced stuff. Without that initial help, I would be in the same position as a lot of the lads on here, trying to get real value for money, for which I don't blame them one bit.

The light shone on me at the right time, I am one of the lucky ones. I just wish it would shine on everyone on here, then we would all be equal, and I wouldn't have to keep apologising for what I've got...........

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
and I wouldn't have to keep apologising for what I've got...........

Bogs

No need for apologies. If you didn't have the tools you would be unable to share with the rest of us the pro's and con's.

Sure, I like others do the feet kicking in the dirt hollering HEY!! and wet the towel wiping the drool from my chin, but also realize that the tools do not do the job in and of them self. Its the person behind the tool, that in the end determines the quality of the work.

DRO's ya look like a nice addition, and in theory should improve the end product. But for me, no mater how much I spend on em, they themselves will not make me a better metal turner. So I would go with ones of this thread type to see if I can master their use. if so, then an upgrade would be in order.

That Solid Gold hammer pounds nails, The old rusty cast iron one does it better.

Robert

I finished installation of a 6" Grizzly unit on the spindle if my Bridgeport this evening and although I don't know how long it will last I'm happy with it's functionality so far. If it lasts a couple of years I'll happily replace it with another. Repeatability is within .001 so far. For the price it has my recommendation. Next, I'm going to put a cut down 24" unit on the Knee.

FWIW, the one I installed as a tailstock DRO on my lathe has just decided it doesn't want to respond to the buttons anymore. Hopefully it's just batteries-- it takes two CR 2032's.

shred said:
FWIW, the one I installed as a tailstock DRO on my lathe has just decided it doesn't want to respond to the buttons anymore. Hopefully it's just batteries-- it takes two CR 2032's.

One of the first ones I got had some issues powering up right out of the box. I found if I pinched the case together it worked. In taking it apart I found that the electronics were in two parts and just used pressure to make the connection. I put some tape behind the circuit board to create some more pressure and it is still working fine. Hope yours is just batteries.

Well, it took 3 weeks but my 35" DRO finally arrived today. Now I just have to find the time to get it cut down to size and installed. :)

Got one of the 12" units mounted on the Z-axis. Just drilled/tapped two holes in the column for the scale and used the leftover bolt from the torsion-arm to mount the reader to the head. Comparing it alongside an import 2" DI, it seems to be off about .001 every 1/2". It's still way more accurate than the dial on the mill's fine-feed (which is pretty much useless). Need to figure a way to mount the readout somewhere out of the way of everything yet still be visible...

Greetings Guys,

I supposed I've reached the endpoint of modifications to my X2. So from here on, I'll concentrate mostly on engine building.

The final mod was installing the 24" iGage DRO yesterday. I cut it down to fit the Z axis. I installed the LMS air spring mod and then installed the DRO. Everything went very smoothly. It works beautifully and well worth the moola.

Couldn't help but notice the top of the air spring was a great place for a ......welding magnet..... which hangs on to the tools I need when I'm changing chucks and end mill holders. Finally they found a home out of my way and it's high enough to where it won't attract ferrous swarf nor will it magnetize the rest of the mill.

DSC05194.jpg

I put a plastic bag over the DRO's. I noticed the magnets on the backs of the units attracted swarf even to the face of the readouts around the push buttons and that can't be good.

DSC05201.jpg

-Trout

Nicely done! I have not gotten my 35" model cut down and installed yet. I have been too busy crappie fishing.

crappie.jpg

Troutsqueezer said:
Greetings Guys,

I supposed I've reached the endpoint of modifications to my X2.

Wait.... you mean there's an end? ??? ??? The concept never even occurred to me..... ;-P

wow these seem like perfect fits for sherline and taig.
anyone done that yet? pictures. wonder if the sizes are right.

TroyO said:
Wait.... you mean there's an end? ??? ??? The concept never even occurred to me..... ;-P

Unless you can think of something worthwhile I've missed....don't want to go cnc, powered x movement might be one thing to consider. Maybe this winter. But I really should focus for awhile on the "end", as in "means to an end". :)

I just installed one on my Jet JVM 836 mill, so far so good

Jack

dro 1 014x.jpg

dro 1 017x.jpg

I've had them on all three axis for some time now and all of them are still working flawlessly. Man, they sure come in handy.

-Trout

Well.. revising an older thread... mainly cause this thread started me on my current journey.... do I need DRO's? No way... Im far too careful with my measuring etc etc etc....

Well I now have DRO's on all three axis of my mill... HOW THE HELL DID I SURVIVE WITHOUT THEM????

Firstly I would like to start off by thanking Black85vete (Rick) for his direct email and kind links... as a result I have concluded 2 things...

Firstly being an electronic bogan (redneck et al) I did NOT want a 3 axis unitised DRO. If one part failed then all would be junk....

Individual units of some quality could be had for less than half the price of a unitised DRO..

I used a Meister quill unit and so far its worked brilliantly... it also was very cheap...time will tell. BUT, if it fails, Ive lost $60 Aus.. no bank breaker....

31082010028.jpg

31082010026.jpg

Hafco is a reasonably well known brand and I concluded (erroniously??) that their products should conform to a quality level of some kind.... again, time will tell, but at $80 per unit... the bank will survive.... $220 for the entire 3 axis...

30092010158.jpg

30092010157.jpg

The downside is that the readouts are nowhere near as large or as bright as the 2 and 3 axis units I have seen. But then, they are only 1/3rd the price, are they good enough? No idea...time will tell, and so will I when I find out.....

BTW, have I mentioned just how much I love my mill? No?... a bit..... 8) (illicite love..aaaahhhhh)......

You'll never look back, Artie. It's a game changer.

Mine continue to work flawlessly. Looks like the Hafco is the same unit as the Igaging model that Grizzly sells over here.

I just finished (after several months of them collecting dust) installing the iGaging DRO's on all 3 axes on my x2 mini mill. Z and Y work great, X...not so much. It is in full speed runaway mode apparently. It behaves as if the table is in constant motion. I switched out to one of the other displays and it still does it. Apparently it is an issue in the X axis encoder itself. Has anyone else experienced this?

Back