Inexpensive digital depth gauge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GailInNM

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a Fowler E-Tread tire tread depth gauge a couple of months ago for use in the shop. It measure from zero to a nominal 1 inch depth. Same 0.001 accuracy and 0.0005 resolution as most electronic calipers. It has worked really well for me as it is more convenient to use than calipers as it is smaller. Depth rod diameter is 2.5 mm (.098 inch) so it will fit in a 6-32 tap hole. Although it has not bothered me, the sise to side gap that the slide moves in is 5/8 inch. The rod does however come very close to the edge of the slot. If it were troublesome, a 1/4 x 2 inch thin piece of metal with an 1/8 inch hole in it could be glued to the base. Mine has a travel of 1.065 inch, so anything 1/16 inch or less would still provide a full 1 inch of travel.

I bought mine from Enco as I order from them fairly regularly, but if you Google "Fowler X-Tread" you will get many hits with prices ranging from about US$ 11.50 to 25.00.

Attached is a cut from the Enco web site.

Gail in NM,USA

DepthGage.JPG

Ha! Great idea. I have a Starrett depth mike, but because it reads opposite to a normal mike I keep getting confused. One of those things would eliminate the confusion.

HF has one like their digital calipers they sell on sale for $4.95. I thought about getting a couple for spare parts for the regular calipers.
Julian G.

Good find Julian. I may have to get one the next time I am near Harbour Freight. I would like to mount one on my micro drill press to preset the depth stop and that is cheap enough to leave one mounted all the time.
Gail in NM,USA

Back