Index to Model Engineer, Model Engineering Workshop and Engineering in Miniature

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorrog

Reaction score
Hi folks, I thought I would share with you a new online resource that offers the Indexes for Model Engineer, Model Engineers Workshop and Engineering In Miniature.
The data has been compiled from several sources most notably from the work Bill Phillips and Chris Orchard have carried out.

The searchable indexes are hosted on the Ipswich Model Engineering Club's website at
www.imes.org.uk/me_index/index.php

The ME index covers all issues from 1898 to 2023 Issue 4718 and holds 186,000 records
MEW to 2016 Issue 237
EIM to 2016

The indexes have a very powerful search capability and are fast to use. For example, to search all 180 thousand-plus records in the Model Engineer takes less than a couple of seconds. Both simple and complex searches can be created, for the latter you use the filter builder with 16 different criteria.
search builder.jpg

If you are interested give it a try and I would welcome your feedback.

Graham

ps The raw data has been compiled by Bill Phillips and Chris Orchard and can be found here www.ropewalkview.uk/me_index.html
There is another site that also holds the ME Index but is no longer maintained and is somewhat out of date. www.itech.net.au/modelengineer/eim_magazine.php

Awesome! Very fast for a simple search, like "Quorn".

Just one thought, is it possible to use https rather than http. AIUI, many browsers are now refusing to open unsecured links by default.

Since I'm offering ideas, I'd prefer black text on a white background over the current reversed scheme. I know 'dark modes' are hip and cool currently but text has been printed in black on white paper for a long time and it seems to work pretty well! ')

Craig

Hi Craig
Thanks for your feedback, you are absolutely correct about the HTTPS, I will see if we can get it updated.
I can easily change the background, I will give it a try and see what you think.
Graham

Thank you. Very grateful for all the work this represents.
I agree with Craig's comment about the "dark mode" used; I find it harder to read black on white, especially when scanning information.
Charlie

For completeness, it would be useful if you could provide links to the post-2016 MEW and EIM indices.

I have changed the style to black-on-white and slightly increased the font size. If you still see the old version you may need to clear the cache on your browser. This is what it should look like.
Model engineer index.jpg

I will see if I can add the missing indexes for MEW and EIM but I have been unable to find an online resource and they will have to be manually created so it may take a bit of time.
Graham

the white on black background is 1000 per cent easier on the eyes!!!

Ron

Just one thought, is it possible to use https rather than http. AIUI, many browsers are now refusing to open unsecured links by default.
Exactly, That's happening with my computer's browser - Google, M Edge

Untitled 2.jpg

Since I'm offering ideas, I'd prefer black text on a white background over the current reversed scheme. I know 'dark modes' are hip and cool currently but text has been printed in black on white paper for a long time and it seems to work pretty well! ')

Craig
👍👍👍

Craig
One of the reason the Mac was so successful when introduced: contrast of black lettering/lines on a white background is significantly easier to read. Anyone having issues may need to adjust the brightness of their monitor/screen.

One of the reason the Mac was so successful when introduced: contrast of black lettering/lines on a white background is significantly easier to read. Anyone having issues may need to adjust the brightness of their monitor/screen.
I've tried everything over the years and white on black is the best for relieving stress on the eyes.

Black on white is natural for the paper page, but the computer is not paper and the long term effect on the eyes is different. As an example the paper page does not emit "blue" light.

Ron

I've tried everything over the years and white on black is the best for relieving stress on the eyes.

Black on white is natural for the paper page, but the computer is not paper and the long term effect on the eyes is different. As an example the paper page does not emit "blue" light.

Ron
My 3-level "Computer Glasses" (ground so I can see three distances, closest for the laptop, medium for the wide screen and furthest for the monitor with my email; I also have the ceiling fixture above the workstation turned off):

20240523 ChazzC Workspace.JPG

have a blue-light filter, so not an issue, and all of my screens are matte, which also makes it more paper-like.

However, everyone is different, so this definitely wouldn't work for all.

My 3-level "Computer Glasses" (ground so I can see three distances, closest for the laptop, medium for the wide screen and furthest for the monitor with my email; I also have the ceiling fixture above the workstation turned off):

View attachment 156337
have a blue-light filter, so not an issue, and all of my screens are matte, which also makes it more paper-like.

However, everyone is different, so this definitely wouldn't work for all.
Some people can afford to throw money at it, others can't so must use cheapest option. Where it's possible to use black background is best for me.

Back