Improved Run Simpson and Shipton Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great running engine Stew. Well done :bow:.

Vince

Runs great Stew.

Congratulations.

Thats running a lot better now Stew though I prefer it at the slower speeds. Just need to sort that loose wobbly flywheel now ;)

J

;D That's running MUCH better now Stew

Well Done :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

That is a great looking and running engine Thm:.
Bill L.

A simply marvelous piece of model engineering Stew. I've gone back and revisited this thread and am just as astounded as the first time around seeing your work. Bravo! and well done indeed! :bow:

BC1
Jim

Hi Stew,
It looks like the cast iron piston really helped out. It sure runs nice.
gbritnell

Much Much better Stew. Great job.

When do we get to see the perspex side?

Ron

Thanks for all you're interest and kind comments Chaps

Jasonb said:
That's running a lot better now Stew though I prefer it at the slower speeds. Just need to sort that loose wobbly flywheel now ;)

J

Yes it does look better at slower speed as it bedded in it will run slower at lower psi and that wobbly flywheel will certainly have to be sorted.

When do we get to see the perspex side?

Ron:- Its such a balls aching job setting the cranks that once I got it running I didn't want to break it down to fit the perspex cover, but I'll now mark the position of the cranks and fit it in a couple of days, in the mean time I'm going to give it a good extended run sort the fly wheel and make a stop valve.

Thanks again

Stew

That's running real sweet now Stew.

When you brought the cylinder and piston to show me the other day, I just knew you were going to get success, as it had freed up considerably in the short time you had it here and just hand turned it.

One lesson learned, don't use PTFE for something that you want to retain perfect size.

Another one for the shelf.

John

Stew

Well done so good old cast iron to the rescue, just shows what a versatile material its shame its so dirty to machine

Stuart

Thanks Guys

Still not 100% happy with it, I took the end play out of the fly wheel spindle to try and get rid of the wobble, and its made it more air hungry, strange but it seems very sensitive to the fly wheel, for some reason it will turn over ok by hand with the fly wheel off put the fly wheel on and the linkage locks up, I think its taking up the play and changes the angular relationship of the links.

I've just ordered a 7" flywheel casting, I think this will help smooth things out, and look more in proportion.

Pics i've found of Antony Mounts engine all have bigger fly wheels.

Stew

Nice work Stew, you cracked it, I thought you would, it’s a sweet runner and no mistake.

Cheers Les

Back