Igniter advice needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I am near the end of building Jan Ridders' Atkinson MK II engine "Wouter" and am at the point where I need to address the igniter and spark plug. The plan suggests a piezo igniter. It appears that the best source is a BBQ igniter. When I looked at these, the push button would seem to require more travel than the cam provides and thereby requiring some leverage or more cam lift.

I came across a different type of BBQ lighter - I bought a GrillPro brand electronic Igniter Kit from Home depot which cost about 50% more than the more common igniter. This one uses a AA battery and the button travel is far less and requires far less effort. It is certainly larger but I can easily overcome that.

( I am very electrically challenged so simplicity would be most appreciated. )

So... does anyone see any problem with using this type of igniter ?

Should I use one of the electrodes that are supplied with the igniter ? I think I can make my own spark plug easily enough using one of them.

Should I purchase a spark plug and wire that to this igniter ? If so, which spark plug would you suggest ?

Here is the kit that I bought : Grill Pro Electronic Igniter Kit

You don;t need to use the lighters switch, the unit can be wired to simple contacts or a reed switch. The two wires that go the to "spark" end of the lighter should have one to the engine frame and the other to your spark plugs electrode. Jan gives various circuits for these type of units on his site.

http://ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_blokker_vonkcircuit/blokker_crcuit_frameset.htm
If 10mm then a CM-6 plug by NGK, if 1/4" then A Rimfire plug would be my choice or as you say make your own.

Latest posts

Back