If money was no object

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmillin

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
There has been some discussion on spark plug construction.

What most use for the electrode, and works very well, is piano wire.

As I was contemplating my next spark plug adventure, I had a thought, I said to myself "Self, the big guys put platinum in their plugs, why can't we" I am sure that platinum comes in small round sizes for jewelers and, at the size needed for a small spark plug electrode, would probably not break the bank.

So is there any sparking type advantages to using platinum? Or is it just for long life? Chuck recently posted that his plug lasted for 300 hours. Which is plenty fine, and much cheaper.

I am not seriously thinking about using platinum, I just want to see what people have to say about it. Who knows, it might be a good idea??

Kel

Spot price of Pt is around $1800/oz.

0.125" diameter x 2" long rod = 0.02 lb = 0.32 oz => $576

Its doubtful a Platinum plug is anywhere near pure platinum, Its like Low Fat food. Why not go to a motorcycle shop where Iridium Platinum plugs are $35, and old ones are tossed out. Bring a box of donuts and you should go home with full pockets of plugs. Smash them with a hammer and you'd have a lifetime supply of electrodes.

The IP plugs have a very small tip, maybe .015-.020", the electrode is closer to .060+

Latest posts

Back