IC engine ignition box

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarinusK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently taking on putputman's Tiny and I was wondering a bit about the ignition box setup. I have a hall effect sensor and some small magnets on order, but don't quite know about the rest. Does anyone have any plans for the circuit and coil for using a hall effect sensor? I have made a few circuit boards so making one won't be the problem, I just don't have the electronical knowledge to design itscratch.gif We have a lot of electrical parts so I want to put them to use.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Marinus

Hi Pat,

Yes, thank you! That's exactly what I needed!

Marinus

You can cheaply buy one of these complete setups LINK which run happily off 4 'AA' batteries. You need to modify the plug lead though (The outer sheath is engine ground by the way). The only real downside is that they have inbuilt 'automatic advance' which must be accounted for. This means that if you manually determine where a spark is thrown by rotating the engine slowly, you will be somewhere around 30 degrees out at operating speed. When I've used one in the past I rig up a rotating disk with the sensor in it, which can be adjusted while the engine is being turned over, or even running, to work out the ignition timing. I've also used this sort with points instead of a hall sensor.

Latest posts

Back