I really wish I had...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!!!! :big:

I think i need to move my computers away from my workshop....
Less temptation to just watch what others are doing all the time! ;D

Andrew

You can do it Andrew...and you can get the experience in places you wouldn't even think of.

When turning a different material or odd part, I sometimes shoot for a turned diameter say .010" bigger than nominal. I do that so that I can get the experience of how the part/machine/tool is behaving....I get as close to this dimension as I can ....and I mean shoot for dead nuts!

then walk the diameter down to size, bit by bit...you know what's going to happen next!...you've already done it!

Dave

Bogstandard said:
Websterz,

I don't think you will regret it, now you just have to find the right jobs to use it on.

John

2piece.jpg

Well, my 2 piece vise from Enco arrived. I didn't get any before pics because I was in a hurry to start tweaking it. As with most things Chinese it was HORRIBLY out of square. I had to take almost .050" off the bottoms just to get full contact with the mill table. This is the reason that most folks have trouble with the vises slipping when they tighten them. I spent a total of 2 hours on the surface grinder truing up everything. This included the bottoms, inside and outside faces of the hardened jaw plates, and the mating faces of the moveable jaws. I also keyed the vise half on the right, the one with the 2 setscrew holes. Each vise half is held down with 2 3/8-16 bolts and tee nuts. The 1-2-3 block was locked in as a test and it was within .0005" perpendicular to the X axis. That's better than my angle-lock vise's fixed jaw on an average day. Several smart raps with a soft faced mallet failed to move the 1-2-3 so there is plenty of clamping power. All in all it was a couple hours well spent IMO. Now I need to soak it overnight in some thinner to get the nasty black "paint" off so I can give it a proper paint job. I am thinking hammertone green to match my lathe and mill. ;D

On the upside the quality of the cast iron was much better than I usually see in the import stuff. There were no visible voids and the metal drilled/tapped beautifully. Each vise half weighs about 10 pounds, nice and beefy castings. And it is a great fit on the G0704 (BF-20) mill.

Back