• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stepping motors

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stragenmitsuko

Reaction score
For sale or for trade

Stepping motors
40€ - ish a piece

Example 1 Powermax II
8 wire motor , bipolair series / parallel or unipolair
P21NSXC-LSS-NS-14
1.75A in bipolair series
dual shaft

Example 2 Electrocraft OH rotating nut
These have an internal anti backlash nut
Thread is 1/4-16 R Acme wich is sadly unobtainable
in europe , but for us residents , mc master has them off the
shelf . 5 Wire motor Bipolar or unipolair 2Amp/phase
Perfect to build a small router table

All of these and many many more are salvaged from obsolete medical and lab equippement I have to process to send to the metal recycling .
I also have drivers , power supply's etc . Shame to trash it , so I tend to salvage
most of the usable parts .

I'de be happy to trade for anything I find interesting . Metalworking , electronics , tools , cutters , books ...... you name it .

Fi if anyone has a spare programmed arduino rotary table controller , I'de
love to trade one for a stepper motor .

Fi If anyone can get me some mc master 1/4 -16 acme rodds
they can get a few rotating nuts from me .

Pat
Belgium

powermax.jpg

rotnut2.jpg

rotnut.jpg

Pat, I have a working RT controller sketch for an Arduino. Would be happy to share pics and sketch. Wish you were in the us. I fear postage would be too much for a swap.
My setup uses a 20x4 lcd display and a 4x4 matrix keypad for input. I can easily e-mail the sketch to you. I got it from a forum member and tweaked it to my setup.

Chuck

Yes please do show me some pictures .

My goal more or less is to trade or buy a fully programmed controller
from someone .
Saves me the research to put it all together myself .
I don't mind the soldering etc , I've done my share of microcontroller repair
and esign in the automotive world .
It's just the software side of thing , that's my weak point .

Shipping a couple of steppers from eu to the us would be 30$ ish ,
so I certainly can live with that .

Pat

I'm currently building a Webster IC engine, which needs a couple gears. I need to make the cutter, and the gear blanks, then I will set up the RT with the Arduino controller to cut the gears. When I get it set up, I'll post some pictures.

Chuck

Yes please do show me some pictures .

Pat

Long time no reply, Pat. I had an issue with my Arduino RT setup. I was working on consolidating power supplies for the Arduino and the stepper driver and blew up my Arduino Uno. So, I spent several days recovering the sketch as somehow, I didn't save a copy of the last version.and found the I2C module was also fubar. No spare available w/o ordering a new one
So, I adapted the sketch to a Arduino Megga. now I'm back up. I made a makeshift platform for the Arduino, display, stepper driver and key pad. I'm setting it all up to make the gears for the Webster IC engine. So far, I have the RT on the mill table, with my gear cutter centered on the RT axis. The RT hand wheel is removed and the stepper adapter is mounted.
Next, I will mount the stepper and hook up the controller platform.
Chuck

DSCF0461.jpg

Well, Pat, I ran into more problems. The platform I built for the electronics did not take into account the clamps and such for the RT. Now I need to extend the leads for the stepper about 12". I'll have to hunt up some 4 wire cable and fix that part.

Chuck

What happend , did you make a short circuit to destroy the arduino ?

Hope you get it all sorted out soon .

Pat

Yes, unfortunately a short circuit. The Arduino and the stepper driver were not secured and touched together. The new set up is now pinned to a board with accommodation for the display held at an angle to make seeing it easier.
I am going to make an enclosure for them but have not found anything suitable.

Chuck

I managed a work around on my setup. Haven't found cable to extend the stepper leads, so I repositioned the electronics board to get operational. I have 2 gears to cut! Here's a link to my photobucket folder with the Digital RT controller pics:

http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/Digital RT controller

The board with the electronics is just set on the mill table. When I extend the stepper leads, I'll move it so I can use the mill x power feed when cutting the gear.
The pics show the layout, the sketch running, menu choices, divisions selected and 24 div entered. Now I just have to start the mill, make a pass, step to next tooth position, cut, wash, repeat... 27 times to fully cut the gear.
Then I'll reset the sketch, mount the 48 tooth blank and go again.
If anything is not clear, just ask. You can ask here or PM me.
I modified a sketch by Bob Pratl to work with my components. I was not smart enough to write the sketch all on my own.

Chuck

Thanks, Foozer. Don't know how I missed that thread. I used the same sketch bmac2 did, customized to an Arduino Mega.
I pm'd bmac2 to find out where he got his box. I have a nice wooden cigar box set aside for it but don't have the nerve to machine it.

Chuck

Ok , it's all starting to make sense now .
Looks like a great project , well worth building .

It's not the electronics I'm worried about , I have plenty of experience there , and the mechanical setup is no problem either .
But the software really my weak point . Never been good at it , never will .
Download and install programs , flash firmware to the controller , compile it first maybe .....

Let's assume for the sake of the discussion that I have an odball dividing head with a ratio of 33:1 , and an even odder stepper / driver combination with 485 steps / rotation .

Can the software handle this , or do I have to reprogram recompile etc .
Cause that's what scares me a bit .
And I assume I'll have to program the arduino also , cause it'll be blank if I buy one , won't it .

Pat

Let's assume for the sake of the discussion that I have an odball dividing head with a ratio of 33:1 , and an even odder stepper / driver combination with 485 steps / rotation .

Pat

I'm no arduino expert, but looks like the sketch is equipped to handle alterations in ratio - steps per rev stuff . . .

bmac2's code

const int StepsPerRotation = 200; // Set Steps per rotation of stepper
const int TableRatio = 90; // ratio of rotary table

Your numbers plugged in:

const int StepsPerRotation = 485; // Set Steps per rotation of stepper
const int TableRatio = 33; // ratio of rotary table

I'm no arduino expert, but looks like the sketch is equipped to handle alterations in ratio - steps per rev stuff . . .

bmac2's code

const int StepsPerRotation = 200; // Set Steps per rotation of stepper
const int TableRatio = 90; // ratio of rotary table

Your numbers plugged in:

const int StepsPerRotation = 485; // Set Steps per rotation of stepper
const int TableRatio = 33; // ratio of rotary table

You got it, Foozer!

Chuck

Great ! :thumbup:Starting to see the light :) .
I'm gonna build one of these then .

I have looked trough my junk boxes and found several usefull items .
24V 6A switching power supply , with a 5V dc output as wel
A nice enclosure with a display and a keypad . With a bit of luck I can squeeze everything in it . As you can see , it's been collecting dust for several years .
And a micro step driver with a "square " nema 23 motor .

Just need the arduino and figure out how to hook it all together .

Chuck , the second picture , is this the kind of arduino I'm looking for ?

Pat

arduino.jpg

arduino2.jpg

Pat,
The code that Bob Pratl wrote is for the Uno, so yes it will work, with one caveat. The LCD you have, does it have a serial interface? If not, you're better off with an Arduino Mega, as it has more digital inputs.
You need to identify the LCD and the Keypad and make sure there is a library to support them for the Arduino.
I had an I2C serial adaptor for my LCD, but that was a casualty of the short circuit incident. That's why I converted to the Mega.
Have you programmed an Arduino before?

Chuck

No never did even see an arduino up close .

But I ordered an uno and a keypad lcd shield , to play with .
We'll see how it goes .

Eb*y will never end to amaze me .
The shield was 3.50$ , the uno 4.50$ , s&h included . :eek:

There is a sketch developed by Chuck Fellows that runs on an Arduino Uno using the button shield. I started with that one but went to Bob Pratl's sketch later on. I wanted the convenience of directly inputting the # of steps, divisions, or degrees. Have fun.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back