I just finished this

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeltapper

Reaction score
Hi
some pics of my latest project;

P5080009.jpg

P5080008.jpg

yes, it's another one of those. ;D

this is one and a half scale. the flywheel is 4 1/2 " dia.
it runs nicely on 20psi. I haven't got a video recorder, sorry :(

cheers
Roy

ps I've also made some gadgets and tooling but seeing as this site is ' home model ENGINE machinist' perhaps I won't waste space.

ps I've also made some gadgets and tooling but seeing as this site is ' home model ENGINE machinist' perhaps I won't waste space.

Roy,

We're always interested in any tools, jigs, fixtures, etc. you use in your shop. Please post what you have. There are specific subfora for "Tools" and "Tips and Tricks" but don't agonize over where to place your submissions. It's not that critical and, if they're a bit too far from home, we moderators will relocate them.

Personally, I'm a tool and jig addict. I would love to see what you've made.

PS: The engine is fabulous. Be very, very proud.

That's a beauty Roy ! As Marv said, we are interested in pics of anything to do with home shop machining, even the shop iteself.

Regards,

Bill

Very nice. Roy. Beautiful.

And what the others have said.
They love pics here.

Roy how to photos are incouraged here. How will newby learn if not from those that have done it.
Nice engine.
Tin

Roy,

That is one good looking engine.

What kind of wood did you wrap around the cylinder?

SAM

Roy,

Thanks for showing us your beautiful beam engine. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi guys
thanks for all the nice comments.
SAM : its sheet balsa steamed round a former.

I tried using strips but it drove me mad sticking them all together.

cheers
the steamy side of Roy

Nice engine Roy,gives me inspiration to finish mine.
Don

Hi Roy

I too think you have build a very nice engine, thanks for showing

Please send your engine to me, I'll make a video for you :p

All kidding aside, that beam engine turned out GREAT !!

Mike

That's a great looking beam engine Roy. Thanks for posting pictures of it. Did you make shoulder bolts for all the pivot points?

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil
sorry I'm a bit late answering you ( bl**dy internet)

most of the pivot points,ie the parallel motion, are made by fitting a piece of brass rod through the beam and the ends of the links, a couple of thou longer, then drilling and tapping the ends.

cheers
Roy

wheeltapper said:
its sheet balsa steamed round a former.

I tried using strips but it drove me mad sticking them all together.

cheers
the steamy side of Roy

Roy

One method of getting strips of wood for cylinder or boiler lagging to stay in place:

First cut out a piece of cotton material slightly shorter, but at least the same circumference as the required lagging, to use as a backing for the stripwood. Then, starting at one edge glue the wood strips to the backing cloth using a good wood adhesive, keeping the strips tight to each other. This can be done on the flat. The slightly shorter length means that the cloth won't be seen from the ends when the lagging is in place. If there is any extra length after gluing, start wrapping from this end so that the final strip overlaps the extra bit of cloth.

When dry, put in place round cylinder/boiler and secure with the usual brass bands.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Latest posts

Back