I finally have a Lathe Project...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be too obvious a suggestion, but: Take lots of pictures!

Take pictures before you take something apart, so if you get stuck putting things back together you'll have something to refer to.

Take pictures before and after cleaning, and then after painting (when painting is appropriate).

There have been a few times when I have dived into restoring something and then regretted later that I didn't have "before and after" pictures.

And I know everyone on this forum will enjoy seeing the pics.

or a Project Lathe...

I just made a deal with a friend of mine to get an old lathe he has. The lathe itself will be a project and I hope to drive everyone batty with questions.

Starting with. What kind is it? What size? What else can anyone tell me about it. I will be picking it up next week and posting more photos as I go along.

Thanks in advance.

lathe3_zpsb00d81d3.jpg

lathe4_zpse01259c9.jpg

lathe_zps77a8524d.jpg

lathe2_zpscc9220f4.jpg

I see many hours with a wire brush ahead of me.

"G"

"G"
Thanks for the pictures. I will be anxious to see the finished project. Keep us posted.
Greg

I jumped right in and started with the headstock. The three jaw chuck came off so easy I was totally surprised.
I did manage to completely disassemble the entire lathe.

DSC_0205_zpsc107fc8e.jpg

DSC_0206_zps98fd6095.jpg

Actually all of the bolts came out very easy. I soaked the entire late down with PB Blaster last week. I photographed every bolt just about. These bolts are too long to remove from the opening unless both bolts are completely free of the casting.
DSC_0204_zps758197be.jpg

Once the four bolts were out the headstock came right off.
DSC_0207_zps5516e6c5.jpg

More to come... Happy Easter everyone.
"G"

you are scarring me seeing the parts siting on the ways . protect those ways from getting chipped hard steel against hard steel can chip.
get a piece of wood make a tray. Sorry pet peeve of mine.
Tin

you are scarring me seeing the parts siting on the ways . protect those ways from getting chipped hard steel against hard steel can chip.
get a piece of wood make a tray. Sorry pet peeve of mine.
Tin

I told you I needed guidance. Of course I did not drop or get rough with any parts near the ways. A tray is a good idea. Thanks,

"G"

The Turret was held on with four allen head bolts. The first two came out very easy and the second two required me to remove the upper carriage. You can see those two bolts in the second photo.

DSC_0183_zps6dd48b9e.jpg

DSC_0182_zps88798ffc.jpg

The allen wrench is just too big.
DSC_0184_zpsf0eee75f.jpg

I removed the two plates on either side of the carriage.
DSC_0185_zps7285f664.jpg

The carriage easily lifted right off. I did not try to remove hexagonal block that holds the tools from the carriage. That is for another day.
DSC_0187_zpsba6aa565.jpg

Now you can see the under side of the carriage.
DSC_0188_zps7cea2d1b.jpg

and the top of the turret plate under the carriage.
DSC_0190_zps751d40e5.jpg

Now I removed the last two allen bolts.
DSC_0191_zps259f54f0.jpg

Old debris stored under the turret.
DSC_0193_zps9aa75743.jpg

More to come when I tackle the carriage.
"G"

Of course I did not drop or get rough with any parts near the ways.

your ways look like the are in good shape just trying to help you keep them that way. when you get the lathe done or maybe before make a wood cradle for your chucks. that way there is something to catch the chuck when removing it. and on a long bed lathe it is tempting to sit stuff on the ways behind the tail stock hence the wood tray idea.

This was also a pet peeve of a former co worker. All of my dealings with him have not been positive but he did teach respect for machines especially the ways. They are the heart and skeleton of a machine tool.

My lathe spent the first 67 years of its life teaching engineering students at the University of Pennsylvania and has been helping in my hobby shop for 9. there are very few dings on the ways yes a few one of which was my fault. I slipped with a hack saw. Ouch that hurt. If you do get a ding take a oil stone and knock down the high edges off the crater leave the low area to hold extra oil.
Tin

Last but not least is the carriage and related parts.

The gear box is driven by the head stock and has two levers used in combination to select various threads. (I am making a SWAG here.)
It only has two bolts, I removed the gears already to get the headstock off.
DSC_0200_zps65f11d76.jpg

This end stop only had a big nut / bolt underneath and easily came off.
DSC_0201_zpsbc7a4da0.jpg

DSC_0202_zps5e00d737.jpg

I started taking bolts out of the saddle.
DSC_0211_zps46f37747.jpg

Some allen head bolts just won't co-operate. I used my vise grips and the allen wrench to get this one out. Neither tool would do it alone.
DSC_0212_zpsbc8c83c0.jpg

This allen bolt would not come out. Turning the wrench only ruined the bolt. I will have to come up with a new plan for this one. I am thinking of using my welding machine and welding a nut to the head then removing it with a wrench. The heat should also convince it to break free.
DSC_0213_zps70008805.jpg

After much frustration I managed to remove the saddle with the taper attachment still attached. I also removed the apron with the gear box and lead screw still attached.
DSC_0216_zps62d3f6e6.jpg

Finally after all of that I removed the supports from each end of the ways. The ways are still too heavy for me to pick up alone. Looks like this week I'll be buying an engine lift so I can move the ways indoors with the rest of the lathe parts.
DSC_0214_zps02df3ce0.jpg

DSC_0215_zps1e730ba1.jpg

That is all for now. Hopefully my shop will be built next week and I will be ready to start my restoration.

"G"

Back