I don't care how far away the cutter is, turn the machine off first!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digiex-chris

Reaction score
I'm new here, but I've read the whole list of oopses, and thought I'd contribute my own.

I've got one of those tiny Taig microlathes setup for small miling, and I'm relatively new to machining. I'm fairly comfortable with steel, but aluminum is both cutting easier and harder. I would get a much better finish climb milling, but there is way too much flex and backlash to make that happen without pulling outwards on the cross slide with my free hand. So I stuck to conventional milling. I'd take a pass, then feel the finish to see if my eyes were lying. Make an adjustment, try another technique, try another pass, feel it. Each time I'd move the cutter 1.5" away from the work so I could get my grubby little fingers in there. Looking over the top of the machine so I could see the back surface, there's less depth perception there. I managed to stick a finger right into the cutter to take a little tiny chunk off, right where you'd grip the knobs!

So, lesson learned. I don't care how good my dexterity is or how small and innocent the machine is, or how far the cutter is away from the work. My hands arn't going anywhere near there unless the machine is OFF! I bet this is the #1 on the list of safety rules, eh?

Make that mistake with the cutter in close proximity to the work and it will chop your finger into little chunks - I've seen it done.

I've been doing the same cut and feel process myself recently and its just too damn easy to get out of synch and reach in with the cutter running.

Keep safe.

Regards,
Ken

I bet this is the #1 on the list of safety rules, eh?

Especially when you start running low on fingers - thanks for sharing!

Welcome Chris; There i a safety rules list in the safety section. Do not recall where that rule is on the list . and we can always add it.
Tin
Keep the fingers safe.

Hi.

I did the same mistake in September this year,working with a 12mm roughing cutter at 600r/pm.
I was looking how good the surface came out,wether up or down hill would be better.

Unfocused for a second,I missed to turn of the machine and the cutter dragged my right hand´s forefinger between itself and the workpiece.All within less than a second.I jerked my hand back immediately,but it was too late.
Most parts of my nail were gone,the others shredded and a 1,5 cm x 1 cm piece of flesh, 5mm deep was missing.
You can imagine that it was bleeding and hurting.The adrenalin made me shiver,but I could manage to put some tissue and tape around the wound.
My workshop is not at my home and I drove to the hospital where I usually work in ::)

This accident made me a 6 weeks period of disability ( the only good part of my stupidity ;) )
Now,after more than 4 month,the forefinger is still not looking good.Reminds me of a frog´s finger.
It is also still missing a lot of its sensibility.
I will need a little surgery,once the nail will be completely grown again.
This is necessary to get rid of exuberantly grown scare tissue.

If you ask me,I will never ever miss to turn the machine off again.No matter how far the cutter or in case of my lathe, the chuck is away.
It has been a hard way to learn this lesson,but it could have been worth.

Regards,Ralph

Yikes...I was lucky and just got a little triangle chunk taken out of the tip. Heal fast!

I took a look at the safety checklist, didn't see it on there. Did I miss it?

My VanNorman would take my finger off at the shoulder.....GEEEZe....makes me squirm just thinking about it...

Thanks for posting!

Dave

I think we have all had a close call or two. I remember working in a model shop . we rough cut plastic parts then taped then to an aluminum pattern . then used a trim router on a table to finish the parts to size. One day the the bit grabbed the part out of my hand I pulled away as fast as I could but not before the trim bit trimmed my fingernail right down to the skin . no blood but a good scare.

Another time I was running a series 2 Bridgeport. I made the mistake of loosening the vise jaws before the bit stopped turning. The part jumped the mill cutter sucked it in chewed it up then the 3/4 in end mill snapped off.
Tools made to cut metal have power not to be dismissed.
Tin

I once made the mistake of loosening the toolpost on a 12" lathe before the chuck stopped spinning, even though I had turned off the power. I spun the wrench around and the jaws of the chuck managed to fling the wrench right at me, with the 1/2" open end hitting me square in the jaw. On the rare occasions where I shave off my beard, I can still see the two scars on my chin. Low and behold they are exactly 1/2" apart!

Needless to say, ever since then, machines are shut off AND stopped before I start poking around. No injuries to my digits in many years that way!

This thread gives me the willies. The same cautionary rules have to apply to belt sanders and grinders too, although the damage is never anywhere near as severe. But the feeling of a finger going into an abrasive media... Ow.

One other thing to keep in mind are gloves - as in, don't. And rags or towels on lathe work and chucks - another injury waiting to happen.

You can work with gloves safely by using those purple nitrile gloves. For messy jobs, I really like them. They are cheap, disposable, and will tear apart (or off) before any injury. Likewise, you can get away with using paper towels or even toilet paper while doing lathe work. Anything that is weaker than human skin and flesh will do. One must always assume a cutter or chuck is going to grab material and hang on to it.

digiex-chris said:
... I don't care how good my dexterity is or how small and innocent the machine is, ...

If it cuts metals or wood, it surely cuts fingers... It may look innocent -- it ain't.

tom in MA

We have all heard, seen or experienced horrors but to lighten the mood a tad-let.
In the old TV show "Rising Damp" the lodger who was a med student had a human skeleton in his room.
When the landlord asked what it was called the reply came "Adam".
"Why Adam"? Cos he ain't got 'em now.
The most valuable tool we all got is under our hats.
Keep all your bits safe guys.

Every time I think of machinework, the saftey poster, on the bullitine board at the MR A-school on NTC, San Diego,
comes to mind, the one depicting the gloriously long braid of hair with attached scalp, tightly wrapped around
a morse tapper shank 1 inch bit, in a dillpress. Talk about a serious case of the shudders...........​

Heatherrose said:

Every time I think of machinework, the saftey poster, on the bullitine board at the MR A-school on NTC, San Diego,
comes to mind, the one depicting the gloriously long braid of hair with attached scalp, tightly wrapped around
a morse tapper shank 1 inch bit, in a dillpress. Talk about a serious case of the shudders...........​

Now THAT sounds like a powerfull image.

Chippychap said:
Now THAT sounds like a powerfull image.

Indeed so, that was almost thirty years ago but the image in my minds eye, still flips my stomach.

Latest posts

Back