I did a BAAAAAD thing!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamer

Reaction score
I went and got me another lathe

A 9" Southbend Workshop...long bed with a chuck, collets and drawbar....

Needs TLC.....and a place in my very crowded shop to put it!

This is going to get interesting.....

The price was extremely reasonable...... ;D $0

I'll put several hundred in time and materials to get her operational again

What was I thinking.......... ::)

You were thinking "Heyy I can find room for that" am I correct.

Congrats I wouldn't of turned that down either!

I looked in the dictionary for a proper definition of the word "BAAAADD".

Nothing there! ;)

Congrats on the score!

Rick

Thanks Steve.....it's single phase and it's running....though it's been beaten with an UGLY stick and has overspray of several tones on her...I think she'll clean up

The family member whom I got it from has it set up in his shop, on a home built tube stand.....facing the wall!...kinda hard to run that way.... :big: I didn't say anything

I'm glad he's a fantastic electrician!

The bed is REALLY long....like maybe it's the elusive 4'6" bed 9......I didn't have a tape measure...I hope not!

OH this is going to be ugly.....I need a major shoe horn and pry bar for this one.

Dave

Yea Doc.....Ol-iron disease is fatal and there is no known cure!

Dave

Rick,

You'll find the "Baaad Thing" right next to the picture of the knuckel head who NEEDS 5 lathes..... with three of them in a 1 car garage complete with a 10' bench, 2 mills, a Drill press, Two bandsaws, T&C grinder and two bench grinders, two bench mounted tool chests, a surface plate in the bench, a roll around tool box, shelves up the wazoo, a small air compressor, central shop vac system, and ah ....oh and a complete steamplant from my boat....and still have some room to move around...... ::) :big: *club* *club* *club* Rof}

steamer said:
Yea Doc.....Ol-iron disease is fatal and there is no known cure!

I have heard a cup of Rust-olium fixes that disease.

;)

Dave,

If it's going to be a problem, I'm sure one or two of us could store it for you. ;D At that price I would have done a BAAAAD thing myself.

Best Regards
Bob

PS sorry I left out an A or 2. ::)

Nice find Steamer....but....... th_wwp

Regards,
Bill

b.lindsey said:
Nice find Steamer....but....... th_wwp

Regards,
Bill

Well...it'll be a week anyway. make sure you wear your glasses....UGLY!

I'll check her out once she's here. If she's still good...and I don't need a completely worn out lathe taking up space on my bench...I'll tear her down, clean/repair/repaint. Visually, the ways looked dry, dirty but without a great deal of wear. Visuals won't cut it though, and I'll need to run some checks before I get too deep into this beast. There's a lot of surface rust....but not on the ways ...she clearly sat for a long time, I think in an autobody shop based on the overspray and such

She'll sit on the right half of my bench. The Waltham will be on the left half, and the Logan on the side of the shop opposite....I'll be sitting in a sea of lathes! ;D

Dave

*club*

Ugly? For the price it sounds like a beauty to me, Dave. Lucky feller.

steamer said:
I'll be sitting in a sea of lathes! ;D

That doesn't sound like a BAAAAAD thing, at all! Have some fun. ;D

Dean

I tried to do a BAAAAAD thing today, but got beat out on ebay. A Sheraton (Aus Southbend 9" clone) went for a good price, but the distance beat me. Time I factored in freight it was beyond me! :(

Well, I got some information...too much on the honey do list to go get some pictures...but

It's a SB 9 x 4.5 model "A" model CL-644R.....which as I understand is somewhat of a rarity.
12 speed with QC gearbox.

Thought the bed was long....54"!

Dave

Anybody got a 9 x 4.5? I was wondering about the support pillar footprint.

Can I get the bed pillars on a 48" wide bench?

Dave

have a long bed floor model.
pillars are close to the ends of the bed.
will hang over a 48" bench.
Tin

Latest posts

Back